Jun 2, 2010, 3:45 PM EST
Pat Burrell is 5-for-12 with a homer in four games at Triple-A after signing a minor-league contract with the Giants last week and Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle speculates that he could be called up as soon as this weekend.
San Francisco’s offense ranks 13th in OPS and 14th in runs scored, but with Buster Posey taking over at first base and Aubrey Huff making room for him by moving to left field the Giants seemingly don’t have a place in the lineup for Burrell unless they’re willing to sacrifice a ton of defense.
And given that Burrell earned his release from the Rays by hitting .218 with a .311 on-base percentage and .361 slugging percentage over the past two seasons a nice stretch at Triple-A is hardly reason to hand him starts anyway. More likely is that Burrell would serve as a bench bat initially–Schulman notes a specific situation from last night’s game when he would have come in handy as a pinch-hitter–and perhaps get some spot starts against left-handed pitching.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 77
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 160
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 34
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (160)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)