Jun 2, 2010, 3:45 PM EDT
Pat Burrell is 5-for-12 with a homer in four games at Triple-A after signing a minor-league contract with the Giants last week and Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle speculates that he could be called up as soon as this weekend.
San Francisco’s offense ranks 13th in OPS and 14th in runs scored, but with Buster Posey taking over at first base and Aubrey Huff making room for him by moving to left field the Giants seemingly don’t have a place in the lineup for Burrell unless they’re willing to sacrifice a ton of defense.
And given that Burrell earned his release from the Rays by hitting .218 with a .311 on-base percentage and .361 slugging percentage over the past two seasons a nice stretch at Triple-A is hardly reason to hand him starts anyway. More likely is that Burrell would serve as a bench bat initially–Schulman notes a specific situation from last night’s game when he would have come in handy as a pinch-hitter–and perhaps get some spot starts against left-handed pitching.
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 43
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 17
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)