Jun 2, 2010, 3:45 PM EST
Pat Burrell is 5-for-12 with a homer in four games at Triple-A after signing a minor-league contract with the Giants last week and Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle speculates that he could be called up as soon as this weekend.
San Francisco’s offense ranks 13th in OPS and 14th in runs scored, but with Buster Posey taking over at first base and Aubrey Huff making room for him by moving to left field the Giants seemingly don’t have a place in the lineup for Burrell unless they’re willing to sacrifice a ton of defense.
And given that Burrell earned his release from the Rays by hitting .218 with a .311 on-base percentage and .361 slugging percentage over the past two seasons a nice stretch at Triple-A is hardly reason to hand him starts anyway. More likely is that Burrell would serve as a bench bat initially–Schulman notes a specific situation from last night’s game when he would have come in handy as a pinch-hitter–and perhaps get some spot starts against left-handed pitching.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 32
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 146
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 376
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (376)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (146)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)