HardballTalk Extra: adventures in basement broadcasting

Jun 2, 2010, 5:39 PM EDT

So this is the first edition of
HardballTalk Extra, which is the name we’re giving this little video adventure. Today Tiffany Simons — who is a total pro and knows what she’s doing — and I — a complete amateur who literally filmed his half of this from his freakin’ basement — talk about Oliver Perez, Bryce Harper and Pete
Vuckovich.
Pete Vuckovich? Yeah, Pete Vuckovich. Because like, why not?

But before you press play, allow me to note that we were gonna do another take of this to smooth out my (multiple) rough edges, but then the power went out at my house preventing us from doing so.  I’m approximately 100% sure that Tiffany, Matt, Brian and the other people putting this together back at the studio did a monster facepalm when that happened and are now at a happy hour somewhere telling their friends that, really, they don’t have electricity west of the Hudson River.

And did I mention that I’m new at this and that I was in my basement?  OK, now I’m just pathetically grovelling, but please be merciful and take my word for it when I tell you’ll that I’ll get better.  Enjoy the show:

1. David Burden - Jun 2, 2010 at 5:48 PM

Looked fine, man. Although, really, I kinda prefer text to video – that’s why I read the blog.
    Tiffany’s nice to look at, of course.

2. Mark Smith - Jun 2, 2010 at 5:51 PM

Definitely with David on this one. She’s much better to look at (sorry), but overall, not bad at all.

3. Old Gator - Jun 2, 2010 at 5:54 PM

You’re a natural, Craig.
    If you believe in evolution, that is.
    Nice basement. Was that a Gilbert Erector Set back there in the corner?

4. Andy L - Jun 2, 2010 at 6:10 PM

You talk way mor like a-guy-on-TV than I expected.
    I mean that as a compliment.

5. Ben - Jun 2, 2010 at 6:15 PM

Ah, it could have been much worse. Seriously you kind of reminded me of Buster Olney (that’s a compliment) but not with quite the polish. It’s not that bad though, although I agree with David as well, it’s more fun reading you than watching you. Still, it was actually pretty good, although next time you have to wear a fake mustache as a shout out to Pete Vukovich.

6. Josh - Jun 2, 2010 at 6:26 PM

I will make it my mission in life to watch this thing even if the video has been loading for twenty minutes.

7. peteinfla - Jun 2, 2010 at 6:29 PM

Hey, not bad, not bad at all Craig, although I have to agree with Mark and Dave up above. Perhaps after the introduction, we could listen to you, but watch Tiffany? No disrespect, I love your blog, and the piece was real good, but she’s hot!

8. Patrick - Jun 2, 2010 at 6:32 PM

You sound good, Craig!
    And wowsa, she IS lovely!

9. Kid Charlemagne - Jun 2, 2010 at 6:34 PM

Nice job – really. For a first time out, I thought you came across very naturally and looked comfortable, and that’s half the battle, and I’m saying that as a former pro video cameraman who’s done tons of interviews for news and corporate videos. And for being shot in your basement, even the lighting looked pretty decent. Better than that Jim Bowden “interview GM’s off of their webcams” stuff he’s been doing.
    If I had to dig for constructive criticism (and it would be digging) I’d say keep an eye on the shrug thing you did there a couple times. Little physical tics like that are cool in small doses, just somethign to keep in mind.

10. ryandevilhorns - Jun 2, 2010 at 6:43 PM

Cool, it’s like having HBT read to me, but with better grammar and less Gator. But a shirt and jacket? I thought you left that lawyer crap at the door to your mom’s basement. Go get that cheetos stained Star Wars shirt from 1998 and blend in with the rest of us.

11. J Rose - Jun 2, 2010 at 6:45 PM

Craig you have a great face for blogging. Seriously though, I echo the sentiments that more Tiffany and less you would be good for us all!

12. peteinfla - Jun 2, 2010 at 7:00 PM

I think what we couldn’t see was Craig sitting in his boxers off camera.

13. ryandevilhorns - Jun 2, 2010 at 7:32 PM

The only thing between him and us is a thin layer of gabardine.

14. YankeesfanLen - Jun 2, 2010 at 9:13 PM

Re: tag
    Don’t say that, you could do a Yul Brenner long shot on the Ten Commandments.
    Anyway, loosen up like you do with the Hot Stove guys, you seem to crack them up, then you can get somewhere with Tiffany from the NBC affiliate in North Platte Nebraska

15. Charles Gates - Jun 2, 2010 at 9:30 PM

but with better grammar and less Gator
    Now, that’s funny. But not for the reasons you thought.
    Craig, congrats. Well done.

16. Barbie - Jun 2, 2010 at 9:37 PM

Great Job, Craig! You can’t even tell that you’re in your basement and that the litter box is to your left! I know nothing about baseball, but I thought you did a great job. Looking forward to the next posting.

17. Jason @ IIATMS - Jun 2, 2010 at 9:59 PM

You set us up for something we didn’t see: a bad job. that was excellent, Craig. I’m all for being self-deprecating, but you should be proud of that, especially as your maiden voyage.
    Oh yeah, Tiffany’s a keeper.

18. Fat Ted - Jun 3, 2010 at 1:21 AM

I liked it, but not sure if I will watch it every time.
    My suggestion would be to tell us what you are going to talk about, we aren’t all like you and want to read and hear everything possible about every topic, we just don’t have enough time. But we do want to hear your opinion about stuff we are interested in.

19. archilochusColubris - Jun 3, 2010 at 11:15 AM

Craig, that was a great job. You’re trying to tell us that was your first take on camera? Um, maybe i’m a stammering fool, but i’m quite impressed. Serious thinkers have a much harder task there, and you were eloquent, deep, and smooth.
    And hey everyone, maybe Tiffany is also proud of her considerable reporting skill, not just being a babe.

20. Nico - Jun 3, 2010 at 9:07 PM

Craig, I agree with Jason: You set us up for a bad job. Well, I for one, am not surprised that it came off well. Keep up the good work!

21. Rebecca - Jun 4, 2010 at 8:41 PM

I agree that Tiffany is attractive and obviously knowledgeable in the topic, but it really comes down to drooling over Craig.

Alex Gordon, MVP candidate