Kevin Gregg walks five in ugly blown save

Jun 2, 2010, 8:45 AM EDT

Kevin Gregg imploded last night, blowing a 5-3 lead against the Rays by allowing four runs on one hit and five walks. He also committed a throwing error and uncorked a wild pitch in one of the ugliest outings you’ll see this season. And then just for good measure he got ejected for yelling at the home plate umpire while walking off the mound.
Gregg came into the game with 14 saves in 16 chances, but he’s been shaky for a while now. Even before Tuesday’s disaster he’d allowed seven runs over his last 10 games, with a 9/8 K/BB ratio and .361 opponents’ batting average in 9.1 innings.
Gregg had plenty of memorably hideous blown saves for the Cubs and Marlins before signing with the Blue Jays, but manager Cito Gaston gave little indication afterward whether he’s in danger of losing ninth-inning duties quite yet. Jason Frasor or Scott Downs would be next in line.

1. Jonny5 - Jun 2, 2010 at 9:16 AM

Yeah, well duhh. It’s Kevin Gregg. It’s how he does. He closes like a champ, then melts down over long stretches that can last for a month, with a week of good saves sprinkled within. Ask Sweet Lou about Gregg. I bet he still has his picture on his dart board. That is if he hasn’t replaced it with a few active Cubs already.

2. J Bartlett - Jun 2, 2010 at 12:34 PM

I don’t really understand why Cito left him in so long. He threw 40 pitches! I wasn’t watching the game, but at some point don’t you have to come get him?
    Here’s the sequence: K, BB, SB allowed, throwing error on a pickoff attempt, BB, K, BB, BB, coaching visit to mound, 2B that scores go-ahead runs, wild pitch, BB, and THEN comes the hook. So he’d already walked 4 batters and thrown 33 pitches before the mound visit.
    That said, Gregg is completely full of it if he thinks the ump was squeezing him. I guess I can’t embed an image in here, but the tale of the tape:

3. Curious George - Jun 2, 2010 at 12:47 PM

but at some point don’t you have to come get him?

Gaston had managed himself into a corner, having already used Frasor, Camp, Janssen and Downs, and having only Lewis and Purcey left to bail out Gregg, if necessary. It can probably be argued that one of those two should have replaced an obviously faltering Gregg sooner, but Gaston was the architect of this mess from the start, leaving himself no Plan B in the 9th inning, inappropriately giving Gregg a Mariano Rivera-level of respect.

4. Old Gator - Jun 2, 2010 at 1:43 PM

Ordinarily, I’d say check out the dartboard in the renter’s clubhouse at Joeprodolsharklife Stadium too, but most of the guys who were here when Gregg pitched for the Feesh have been sold off or traded away for EYPs (Exciting Young Prospects, for those of you who have climbed aboard here since spring training ended), and probably took their darts with them.
    All that notwithstanding, Feesh fans can vividly remember the spike in the rate of mortal gophers during Gregg’s agonizing tenure here. He was like Calamity Jane with a bull neck and funny glasses.
    Anyway, I hear that Mutts players are buying up all the used darts on the market, and even on the black market. Whatever could that be about?

5. Jonny5 - Jun 2, 2010 at 2:45 PM

I think we both know what that’s all about Gator, Just like the Nats mulling over a pitcher Like Roy O, while they have “THE PHENOM” coming up in a matter of a week. It’s June and it’s still anyone’s season in the NL East. But have no fear Floridian, it won’t be the Feesh shelling out money to stay in the race. So Gator, how long before Tipper moves in with you now that she’s dumped the Zero? ;>P~

6. Old Gator - Jun 2, 2010 at 6:14 PM

Well, I haven’t suffered from vereorpiscisprodigoviaticaphobia since Scrooge McLoria took the team over, so I’m not likely to start worrying about it now.
    Tipper would have to get past my current wife to move in here, which is unlikely to the max. However, I would much rather have Tipper Gore for an ex-wife than the ex-wife I already have. I think maybe I could get away with working out that kind of arrangement, but just barely.

Giants, Royals took unique paths to WS