Jun 2, 2010, 8:45 AM EST
Kevin Gregg imploded last night, blowing a 5-3 lead against the Rays by allowing four runs on one hit and five walks. He also committed a throwing error and uncorked a wild pitch in one of the ugliest outings you’ll see this season. And then just for good measure he got ejected for yelling at the home plate umpire while walking off the mound.
Gregg came into the game with 14 saves in 16 chances, but he’s been shaky for a while now. Even before Tuesday’s disaster he’d allowed seven runs over his last 10 games, with a 9/8 K/BB ratio and .361 opponents’ batting average in 9.1 innings.
Gregg had plenty of memorably hideous blown saves for the Cubs and Marlins before signing with the Blue Jays, but manager Cito Gaston gave little indication afterward whether he’s in danger of losing ninth-inning duties quite yet. Jason Frasor or Scott Downs would be next in line.
- Report: Pablo Sandoval and the Red Sox agree to a five-year deal at close to $100 million 54
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 23
- Report: Red Sox finalizing a 5-year, $90 million deal with Hanley Ramirez 26
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 23
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)