Jun 2, 2010, 8:45 AM EDT
Kevin Gregg imploded last night, blowing a 5-3 lead against the Rays by allowing four runs on one hit and five walks. He also committed a throwing error and uncorked a wild pitch in one of the ugliest outings you’ll see this season. And then just for good measure he got ejected for yelling at the home plate umpire while walking off the mound.
Gregg came into the game with 14 saves in 16 chances, but he’s been shaky for a while now. Even before Tuesday’s disaster he’d allowed seven runs over his last 10 games, with a 9/8 K/BB ratio and .361 opponents’ batting average in 9.1 innings.
Gregg had plenty of memorably hideous blown saves for the Cubs and Marlins before signing with the Blue Jays, but manager Cito Gaston gave little indication afterward whether he’s in danger of losing ninth-inning duties quite yet. Jason Frasor or Scott Downs would be next in line.
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 1
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 22
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 79
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 91
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (110)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (91)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)