Jun 2, 2010, 8:45 AM EST
Kevin Gregg imploded last night, blowing a 5-3 lead against the Rays by allowing four runs on one hit and five walks. He also committed a throwing error and uncorked a wild pitch in one of the ugliest outings you’ll see this season. And then just for good measure he got ejected for yelling at the home plate umpire while walking off the mound.
Gregg came into the game with 14 saves in 16 chances, but he’s been shaky for a while now. Even before Tuesday’s disaster he’d allowed seven runs over his last 10 games, with a 9/8 K/BB ratio and .361 opponents’ batting average in 9.1 innings.
Gregg had plenty of memorably hideous blown saves for the Cubs and Marlins before signing with the Blue Jays, but manager Cito Gaston gave little indication afterward whether he’s in danger of losing ninth-inning duties quite yet. Jason Frasor or Scott Downs would be next in line.
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 47
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 24
- Curt Schilling goes after Obama, says Ronald Reagan would watch “The Interview” (246)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (97)
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year (86)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)