Jun 2, 2010, 11:49 PM EDT
If it weren’t for the bad call by Jim Joyce we’d definitely be talking about this more: Austin Jackson made an absolutely incredible catch for the first out in the ninth inning of Armando Galarraga’s non-perfecto.
Check out the video here. Mark Grudzielanek smacked it to the deepest part of Comerica Park — left-center — Jackson ranged after it forever and made an over-the-shoulder catch that was seven shades of spectacular. Though not quite as spectacular as the catch DeWayne Wise made in Mark Buehrle’s perfect game last year — which was a good eight or nine shades of awesome — it belongs in the same conversation.
Here’s hoping that Jackson fares better than Wise in the long run, however. He got stuck in AAA with the Phillies this year and got so fed up that he exercised an out-clause in his contract today and is now a minor league free agent.
But it was an amazing catch from Jackson, that’s for sure.
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 14
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 23
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 64
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 34
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)