Jun 2, 2010, 12:42 PM EDT
Marlins prospect Mike Stanton kept rolling last night with two more homers, giving the 20-year-old outfielder 20 long balls in 48 games at Double-A. He’s also hitting a career-high .307 with a .436 on-base percentage, .722 slugging percentage, and nearly as many walks (40) as strikeouts (50).
Joe Frisaro of MLB.com notes that Stanton could be on the verge of a call-up to the majors, as Marlins president of baseball operations Larry Beinfest and assistant general manager Dan Jennings were both on hand to see his latest power display yesterday and, like with Stephen Strasburg in Washington, any service time-related considerations are no longer a factor.
According to Frisaro the Marlins think Stanton is ready for the majors offensively despite being six months shy of his 21st birthday, but “defensively the team is still weighing if he can handle playing right field in the big leagues on a daily basis.” Stanton has also been playing some left field recently, leading to speculation that Chris Coghlan could be the odd man out.
Coghlan has been hot lately, however, collecting three hits in back-to-back games and batting nearly .300 over the past three weeks, so benching or demoting the struggling Cameron Maybin is also a possibility. In that scenario the Marlins would shift Cody Ross to center field, with Stanton in right and Coghlan in left.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 76
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 75
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 69
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)