Jun 2, 2010, 12:42 PM EDT
Marlins prospect Mike Stanton kept rolling last night with two more homers, giving the 20-year-old outfielder 20 long balls in 48 games at Double-A. He’s also hitting a career-high .307 with a .436 on-base percentage, .722 slugging percentage, and nearly as many walks (40) as strikeouts (50).
Joe Frisaro of MLB.com notes that Stanton could be on the verge of a call-up to the majors, as Marlins president of baseball operations Larry Beinfest and assistant general manager Dan Jennings were both on hand to see his latest power display yesterday and, like with Stephen Strasburg in Washington, any service time-related considerations are no longer a factor.
According to Frisaro the Marlins think Stanton is ready for the majors offensively despite being six months shy of his 21st birthday, but “defensively the team is still weighing if he can handle playing right field in the big leagues on a daily basis.” Stanton has also been playing some left field recently, leading to speculation that Chris Coghlan could be the odd man out.
Coghlan has been hot lately, however, collecting three hits in back-to-back games and batting nearly .300 over the past three weeks, so benching or demoting the struggling Cameron Maybin is also a possibility. In that scenario the Marlins would shift Cody Ross to center field, with Stanton in right and Coghlan in left.
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 2
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 20
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 61
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 131
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (131)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)