Jun 2, 2010, 12:42 PM EDT
Marlins prospect Mike Stanton kept rolling last night with two more homers, giving the 20-year-old outfielder 20 long balls in 48 games at Double-A. He’s also hitting a career-high .307 with a .436 on-base percentage, .722 slugging percentage, and nearly as many walks (40) as strikeouts (50).
Joe Frisaro of MLB.com notes that Stanton could be on the verge of a call-up to the majors, as Marlins president of baseball operations Larry Beinfest and assistant general manager Dan Jennings were both on hand to see his latest power display yesterday and, like with Stephen Strasburg in Washington, any service time-related considerations are no longer a factor.
According to Frisaro the Marlins think Stanton is ready for the majors offensively despite being six months shy of his 21st birthday, but “defensively the team is still weighing if he can handle playing right field in the big leagues on a daily basis.” Stanton has also been playing some left field recently, leading to speculation that Chris Coghlan could be the odd man out.
Coghlan has been hot lately, however, collecting three hits in back-to-back games and batting nearly .300 over the past three weeks, so benching or demoting the struggling Cameron Maybin is also a possibility. In that scenario the Marlins would shift Cody Ross to center field, with Stanton in right and Coghlan in left.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 32
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 40
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)