White Sox, Mariners, and Rangers reportedly interested in Mike Lowell

Jun 2, 2010, 1:46 PM EDT

Now that David Ortiz is hitting again the Red Sox have found almost zero playing time for Mike Lowell, giving him a grand total of three starts and 17 plate appearances in the past three weeks.
Lowell has made it clear that he’d welcome a trade, noting last month that third baseman Adrian Beltre and Kevin Youkilis rarely need time off and “I refuse to wish injuries to good players.”
Joe McDonald of ESPNBoston.com reports that “it does appear the Red Sox are listening to Lowell’s request to try to move him.” According to McDonald, the White Sox, Rangers, and Mariners have expressed interest in Lowell, but a source “ruled out any possibility of” the Angels getting involved in the wake of Kendry Morales’ broken ankle.
Chicago would use Lowell at third base in place of Mark Teahen, who was put on the disabled list yesterday with a broken finger. Seattle would presumably use him at first base, perhaps in a quasi-platoon with Casey Kotchman. Texas could also use him at first base, although that would likely mean sending top prospect Justin Smoak back to the minors after just a few dozen games.

1. Old Gator - Jun 2, 2010 at 1:49 PM

I’m Seattle, I’m thinking of any possible way to get a bat into the lineup. Lowell should be a priority move for them. The Angels are being foolish.

2. Luis - Jun 2, 2010 at 2:04 PM

Sounds like it’s more about the Sox not wanting to help the Angels out than LA not being interested. It’s a Sox source, after all.

3. J Rose - Jun 2, 2010 at 2:48 PM

As much as I hate to see Mike leave the Sox, he deserves to be playing during the twilight years of his career if he is healthy enough to help someone out. Why the Angels wouldn’t be interested makes no sense to me, unless it’s like Luis said and they don’t want to deal him there. Maybe they could package Lowell with Lackey?

4. scatterbrian - Jun 2, 2010 at 2:55 PM

I don’t get Seattle’s interest, but I also don’t think they should be buyers. They’re 11 games under .500 and only 6-15 against their own division. They already have two aging vets at DH who aren’t really producing, Lowell’s .687 OPS really isn’t much of an improvement. I suppose the assumption is Lowell could take over at first base, but it should be noted he only has 17 career innings under his belt as a 1B.

5. J Rose - Jun 2, 2010 at 3:02 PM

Scatterbrian, at this stage of his career and on the heels of his hip issues he will have to play 1B/DH. His days as a GG first baseman are over. Plus no matter what the stats show he is a huge upgrade over Kotchman, at least offensively.

6. J Rose - Jun 2, 2010 at 3:08 PM

I meant THIRD baseman obviously. And he is still an improvement over Griffey/Sweeney

7. Luis - Jun 2, 2010 at 3:12 PM

Ha…come on man. Aside from it being pretty much impossible that the Sox could move Lackey and the ~$70 million left on that ridiculous contract of his, who exactly are you going to replace him with? Wakefield? Not to mention Beckett isn’t healthy (or really effective), and Matsuzaka seems like a perpetual health risk (not to mention he kind of sucks).
    Look, I’m no fan of Lackey, I hated that contract and it looks even worse right now, but when it’s all said and done I think he’s a legitimate no. 3 starter and an excellent bet to pitch better than Wake over the course of a full season.

8. t ball - Jun 2, 2010 at 3:26 PM

No, TX wouldn’t send Smoak down, just spell him against lefties.

9. J Rose - Jun 2, 2010 at 3:33 PM

I was joking about Lackey, but I wasn’t a fan of the deal then and I’m even less of one now.

10. Luis - Jun 2, 2010 at 3:55 PM

I see. I apologize, I was blinded by the overall tone of sincerity in your original post.
    That being said, I obviously agree the deal sucks…but cynical Sox fan though I may be, I’m still pretty confident in saying: Relax. Lackey will be fine. Not awesome, but fine. The Sox have plenty of bigger problems to worry about.

11. juan - Jun 2, 2010 at 4:49 PM

Any value the Sox can get for Lowell would be a bonus, especially because he won’t play this year and will leave after it. He is a tremendous club-house professional and a classy leader. Any team would be lucky to grab him, especially if the Sox would pay a little of his salary.

12. scatterbrian - Jun 2, 2010 at 4:58 PM

Finding an offensive upgrade for Kotchman is not a hard to do, but Lowell isn’t enough of an offensive upgrade to counter the defensive downgrade. Nor do I believe he’s much of an upgrade to the Swiffey platoon. I just don’t think Lowell has much left in the tank.
    @ Old Gator, the Angels trying out Mike Napoli at 1B, which makes sense. Scioscia clearly hates him behind the plate, but his bat is pretty lethal.

13. Evan - Jun 2, 2010 at 5:04 PM

if im the tampa bay rays i would trade for mike lowell for andy sonnstine

14. Cru11 - Jun 2, 2010 at 5:31 PM

If Lowell does go elsewhere, Im hoping (Heaven forbid) that Ortiz doesnt go into a major slump down the line and we have no bat to turn to.

15. Busy B - Jun 2, 2010 at 7:17 PM

I hope mike doesn’t get traded! Ortiz is suspect at times

16. CommonNow - Jun 3, 2010 at 9:49 AM

Lowell was an integral part of the Sox success in the past decade, true. But baseball keeps going, even as beloved players age. If Lowell has any value left he is worth more today then in the offseason (where he is one year older…) Remember the man and his accomplishments, them move on.
    Prediction from January: The SOX will not make the playoffs in 2010. Since no moves were made this offseason to shore up the offense the agents and league will TAX the sox (with huge contracts) for any moves they try to make this year. So Theo tries to play chessmaster again with the aging fleet. The SOX can not be competitive again until 2012-2013.

17. JudyJ - Jun 3, 2010 at 11:34 AM

Wow that is a really tough line to take: “The SOX cannot be competitive again….” No one should be surprised by the trading of Lowell based on last winter when he was all but gone except for the thumb issue. He will have great days but more off days in the future. The SOX are just heating up behind some outstanding pitching. Unfortunately, it is a three-way race which just complicates the matter further. No one ever knows what will transpire as other clubs drop out of the competition and a good trade may just be a day away. Of course, I am a Yankee fan and I hope any trades come our way.

18. Fecteau - Jun 3, 2010 at 12:27 PM

Hey, I’ve been reading the postings, and hoping to interject. Isn’t Lackey most known for his playoff ability? Granted, we need to GET him there in order to benefit, but if he comes up clutch in the playoffs, and presuming we get there, I personally don’t care WHAT Lackey does in the regular season. I feel Lester, Buccholz, and Matsuzaka will be fine (and when Beckett’s back to normal he’ll join them!) Although all starting pitchers have shown signs of either aging or deteriorating, they all also have shown signs of greatness… Especially Daisuke…
    The Sox are on a roll, and with their upcoming opposition this really could be huge for Boston!!! Go Sox!!!!

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2873)