And That Happened: Wednesday's Scores and Highlights

Jun 3, 2010, 6:16 AM EDT

Jim Joyce looks on.jpgTigers 3, Indians 0: So, did anything notable happen in this game?

Mariners 2, Twins 1: Between a tornado warning (see the Cubs-Pirates recap at the bottom) and the Armando Galarraga stuff I was unable to pay any attention to Ken Griffey’s retirement before this game.  I will remedy that later today.

Dodgers 1, Diamondbacks 0: I watched way more of this game than I should have. Guess it was morbid fascination combined with being lulled into a state of happy by Vin Scully’s voice. It totally screwed with my judgment too. In the 14th inning, Scully, after the second out, said something to the effect of “hope you don’t have any plans everybody . . .” before catching himself and saying ” . . . because unless Garret Anderson can do something here we’ll be heading to the 15th.”  My comment on Twitter at the time wasIt’s possible that Vin thought there were already
three outs there, but more likely that he’s just realistic about Garret
Anderson’s chances
.” Of course Anderson then singled in Matt Kemp, ending the game.

Braves 2, Phillies 1: Hit this one up yesterday afternoon.  Atlanta now goes to face a Dodgers pitching staff that (a) hasn’t given up a run in forever, but (b) has to be tired after consecutive extra-inning performances.

Yankees 9, Orioles 1: The whole Yankees starting lineup was back for the first time in forever last night. Now that they’re done with that practice squad in the orange, black and gray uniforms they get to see how they play against real teams. UPDATE:  Oops, sorry about that. They have one more game against the practice squad. Forgive me, but my brain is a bit fried this morning.

Rays 7, Blue Jays 3: Lord Almighty, the Rays like the late-inning drama, no? Carl Crawford’s ninth-inning grand slam didn’t put the Rays ahead, but it certainly put the game out of reach, as Tampa Bay puts up a six spot in the final frame for a come-from-behind victory.

Padres 5, Mets 1: At some point, just before I went to bed early, early this morning (yeah, I’m functioning on almost no sleep right now) I suffered this moment of panic, wondering if, between the Armando Galarraga thing, Griffey’s retirement, the Braves sweep of the Phillies and all of the amazing late-night action, if there was just too much baseball drama to handle. This one may have put me over the edge. Adrian Gonzalez 11th inning grand slam. Just an unreal day of baseball yesterday.

Red Sox 6, Athletics 4: Big Papi — we can call him that now that he’s hitting like Big Papi again — hit the go-ahead two-run homer in the fifth. He was 2 for 2 with a double, that homer and two walks. Can a guy win Comeback Player of the Year for coming back from adversity that occurred in the same season?

Brewers 7, Marlins 4: Where would the Brewers be without Yovani Gallardo? In addition to giving up two runs in seven innings with four strikeouts, he hit a dinger.

Rangers 9, White Sox 5: Vlad Guerrero was scratched after getting popped in the eye by a ball at the batting cage during BP (the practice kind of BP, not the kind that spilled all that oil). He was not needed, however, as Matt Treanor homered and drove in four and Michael Young had three hits.

Astros 5, Nationals 1: Back-to-back wins for the Astros for the first time in nearly a month. Three errors for Ian Desmond, who now has 14 on the year.

Angels 7, Royals 2: Torii Hunter homered, doubled, singled and drove in three runs as the Angels take their sixth win in eight games.

Cardinals 4, Reds 1: Chris Carpenter allows only one run on four hits over eight innings to bring the Cards back into a tie for first place. Big boo-boo here: runner on first and third in the seventh, and Scott Rolen — the guy on first — got smacked by a ground ball. Just one of them things.

Giants 4, Rockies 1: A two-run double for the slumping Aaron Rowand and one run on four hits over eight innings for Chris Carpenter Matt Cain helps the Giants avoid the sweep.

Cubs vs. Pirates: Postponed. I’m assuming this was the same weather system that blew threw my town a few hours earlier. We had tornado warnings and all kinds of fun stuff. My wife and kids and I were the basement for a while. While down there, my son found an old wooden Louisville Slugger I’ve had since I was a kid. My daughter looked at the name on it and asked “Daddy, who’s Gorman Thomas?”  My answer: “He was one of Harvey’s Wallbangers, dear.”  The my wife made me explain a little more thoroughly.

1. danteswitness - Jun 3, 2010 at 7:28 AM

Point of clarification: Rolen got hit by a scorched line drive that he had almost no chance of avoiding.

2. YankeesfanLen - Jun 3, 2010 at 7:40 AM

Dear Sleepy Craig-
    If Carl Crawford’s GS did not put the Rays ahead when the Blue Jays had only 3 runs, what did?
    The Universe gets to sweep- the O’s at 1 PM today/
    There I was listening to a blowout and all hell breaks loose in MLB> It most assuredly was an exciting night!

3. Josh Fisher - Jun 3, 2010 at 7:40 AM

The Twins/Mariners game was a sad postscript to a screwy day. It ended on a blown safe/out call at second. A call which would have been easily reviewed. But one can’t expect an industrial grade blown call to make the news the same day the high-test variety blew up in our faces.

4. Jimmy - Jun 3, 2010 at 8:07 AM

“The whole Yankees starting lineup was back for the first time in forever last night. Now that they’re done with that practice squad in the orange, black and gray uniforms they get to see how they play against real teams.”
    Does the Orioles team they’re playing again tonight count as “real?”

5. jimbo - Jun 3, 2010 at 8:41 AM

Probably the double that made the score 3-2 before the grand slam.

6. RaysfanAnna - Jun 3, 2010 at 8:57 AM

Craig wasn’t totally clear. At start of the top of the 9th, the score was 2-1, Toronto. At the time, the run that put the Rays up 3-2 was Brignac doubling in Jaso with the go-ahead run. Then Crawford hit the grand slam, making the score 7-2. It was extra security which the Rays ultimtely needed because the Blue Jays scored a run in the bottom of the 9th. The Crawford grand slam was ultimately the deciding factor.

7. YankeesfanLen - Jun 3, 2010 at 9:03 AM

Thanks, I guess that would do it. What’s with the Rays getting all let’s do it at the end thingy- thought that was a Yankees patent.

8. Church of the Perpetually Outraged - Jun 3, 2010 at 9:27 AM

Somewhere, quietly, Nick Johnson weeps…

9. YankeesfanLen - Jun 3, 2010 at 10:05 AM

Don’t know where Cash got the idea to hire any DH this year-the DH of the day program works perfectly as does Swisher in the 2 hole.

10. Old Gator - Jun 3, 2010 at 10:30 AM

There are actually people out there waiting for Bud Light to “act”? How odd.

11. Old Gator - Jun 3, 2010 at 1:13 PM

A thought: if Bud Light overrules the umpire and awards Galarraga a perfect game, he acted, right? If he decides not to overrule the call and uses the fact that there was no protest, did he act, or did he not act? Moreover, should he “act” and in process merely acknowledges what was reality before they called him in off the golf course, is that an “act” or a mere “acknowledgement,” and is an acknowledgement an “act” in the first place? And what would Sartre have said about all this?
    Now then, the Feesh: another boolpen implosion after Chris Volstad, this time riding the crest of his turbulent biorhythms, pitched a pretty solid 5.1 and left clinging to a wee lead. The Feesh, after a couple of good games, sink back towards that strange attractor again. Benoit Mandelbrot must be a Feesh fan, and if he’s not, he ought to be.

12. APBA Guy - Jun 3, 2010 at 1:17 PM

Even the A’s announcers mentioned that Armando lost the perfecto on a blown call. I think they did it to distract the A’s TV audience from noticing that the A’s couldn’t hold a lead against Boston for the second night in a row, and that the Angels are closing the gap fast.
    In happier news, the A’s hit two HR’s last night, a massive output for them, bringing their total to 33, 28th in the MLB.

The Jon Lester-Yoenis Cespedes trade is a win-win