Jun 3, 2010, 12:12 PM EDT
According to Larry Lange of the AP, Major League Baseball was “still deciding” whether or not to overturn the Galarraga game as of this morning. Bud is talking to his advisors, the story says. For what it’s worth, Tony La Russa — not a formal advisor, but the game’s only Super Genius — thinks it should be overturned. Bud sometimes listens to La Russa on these things, sometimes he doesn’t. My bet is that he’s listening to his PR people more than baseball people, however.
After a good night’s sleep my original position still stands: don’t overturn it, because doing so — however satisfying it may be at the moment — would open up a can of worms. Like I said earlier, you could change the call in last night’s Mariners-Twins game if you wanted to. You could do it a dozen times a year, really.
If Bud chooses to overturn this game, he has to understand that he’s not just righting a wrong. He’s setting a precedent. One that will create a ton of new work for the Commissioner’s Office that, quite frankly, I don’t think it wants or needs.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 14
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow 72
- Yadier Molina to miss 8-12 weeks with a torn thumb ligament 30
- Carlos Beltran placed on concussion disabled list after batting practice mishap 16
- Derek Jeter is the most popular MLB jersey this year 16
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 52
- The Rockies “aren’t looking around very hard” for a trade of star shortstop Troy Tulowitzki 29
- Jury finds the Dodgers partially negligent, awards $18 million to Bryan Stow 48
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (188)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (101)
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing (99)