Jun 3, 2010, 12:12 PM EDT
According to Larry Lange of the AP, Major League Baseball was “still deciding” whether or not to overturn the Galarraga game as of this morning. Bud is talking to his advisors, the story says. For what it’s worth, Tony La Russa — not a formal advisor, but the game’s only Super Genius — thinks it should be overturned. Bud sometimes listens to La Russa on these things, sometimes he doesn’t. My bet is that he’s listening to his PR people more than baseball people, however.
After a good night’s sleep my original position still stands: don’t overturn it, because doing so — however satisfying it may be at the moment — would open up a can of worms. Like I said earlier, you could change the call in last night’s Mariners-Twins game if you wanted to. You could do it a dozen times a year, really.
If Bud chooses to overturn this game, he has to understand that he’s not just righting a wrong. He’s setting a precedent. One that will create a ton of new work for the Commissioner’s Office that, quite frankly, I don’t think it wants or needs.
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 4
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 7
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 27
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 58
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 4
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 78
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 36
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (189)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (101)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence (91)