Charlie Manuel calls out his hitters

Jun 3, 2010, 12:28 PM EST

You know who’s happy today? The Phillies.  Because of the Stanley Cup Final and because of all of the Jim Joyce and Ken Griffey rumpus, not too many people are talking about them today.  About how, you know, they’re in a total flat spin and how they can’t hit anymore and look to be playing uninspired baseball and everything.

Well, I notice of course, because I have a vested interest.  But Charlie Manuel notices too, and yesterday the normal even-keeled Cholly let loose on his players for not hitting the ball:

“It’s definitely not Milt Thompson’s fault. He doesn’t do the
hitting. You’ve got to hold people accountable. I don’t see a young player on our roster. These guys have been
around a long time. If they haven’t learned something from their
hitting by now, and they don’t know some of the things that they do when
they go bad . . . we can talk to them and we can tell them things that
we see. I talk to them all the time, and I hear Milt talk to them . . .

“You’re the one making the outs. That’s how I look at it.
It’s up to you to master your hitting. If you listen and you learn, the
more you play, you should know something about yourself.”

Manuel then said that maybe he’d hire a house peeper to keep an eye on the fellas next time they hit the bricks for a road trip so’s to put the kibosh on all that rumpty the night before go-time.

1. YankeesfanLen - Jun 3, 2010 at 12:47 PM

Kudos on the last sentence- pure O. Henry. Bout time we had some of this “talk-like-a-pirate” goin’ round here again. All serious and stuff with this perfect game embroilio happening.

2. Jonny5 - Jun 3, 2010 at 12:53 PM

I like this one where Charlie busted them watching movies in the clubhouse before the game. http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/phillies/20100603_Paul_Hagen__Phillies_manager_Manuel_looking_to_change_channel.html#axzz0poDp4On9
    I mean damn, that’s kinda disheartening for me, a fan, to hear. I pictured them warming up and putting their game face on. They need to talk about swinging the bat. And their defense has fallen as well I have to say. They don’t look like the same team. It’s like aliens hijacked their bodies. Yet they watch movies before the game…………. :>/

3. Jonny5 - Jun 3, 2010 at 1:20 PM

The Phills also signed Willy Taveras today after letting Dewayne Wise opt out. I guess even Willy is a better hitter than any active Phillie right now….

4. Joey B - Jun 3, 2010 at 1:24 PM

“Yet they watch movies before the game…………. :>/”
    One might argue that, when the bats are cold, the best thing to do is to drop your bat and take your mind off of hitting. Not for two weeks like the Phillies have done, but for a day maybe.

5. nps6724 - Jun 3, 2010 at 2:18 PM

I’m sure most ball players watch movies, play video games, play cards, and do pretty much anything BUT baseball before a game starts. I worked for the AA Mobile Baybears one summer in the clubhouse and they would be playing pool or watching TV before every game.

6. Utley's hair - Jun 3, 2010 at 2:31 PM

Maybe he should have swapped “Gran Torino” with “The Natural,” “The Sandlot,” “Bad News Bears” or even “Everyone’s Hero.”

ay de mi…recaptcha: shutouts view

7. schmedley - Jun 3, 2010 at 6:58 PM

If you think that watching movies is bad, Bobby Abreu used to have a La-z-boy chair in front of his locker.

8. Utley's hair - Jun 3, 2010 at 7:20 PM

How appropriate.

9. Brian - Jun 3, 2010 at 8:13 PM

They’re not so tough without their binoculars, are they?

10. Dan - Jun 3, 2010 at 11:08 PM

How can a team start the season hitting like the 1927 Yankees and then after the binocular episode they start hitting like the 1962 Mets.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (4870)
  2. M. Kemp (3449)
  3. J. Upton (2531)
  4. J. Kang (2503)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (2483)
  1. C. McGehee (2460)