Jun 3, 2010, 10:25 AM EST
Lots of things happened yesterday that were overshadowed by Griffey and Joyce/Galarraga. Here’s one from the Dodgers-Diamondbacks game that we shouldn’t just forget, however:
[Garret] Anderson shattered his bat grounding out in the second inning, and a
woman in the sixth row of seats near the home plate side of the first
base dugout received cuts on her head from the barrel of the bat. She
was fully alert while the stadium’s medical personnel treated her at her
seat, and was escorted to the first-aid room moments later.
As I’ve said over and over again, it’s only a matter of time before someone gets seriously hurt. This woman was on the plate side of the dugout. If, as I’ve suggested, the nets were extended to the dugout, this wouldn’t have happened.
Unfortunately — as is the case with everything else apparently, Major League Baeball will wait until the worst case scenario occurs before doing anything about it.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 20
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)