Jun 3, 2010, 10:25 AM EST
Lots of things happened yesterday that were overshadowed by Griffey and Joyce/Galarraga. Here’s one from the Dodgers-Diamondbacks game that we shouldn’t just forget, however:
[Garret] Anderson shattered his bat grounding out in the second inning, and a
woman in the sixth row of seats near the home plate side of the first
base dugout received cuts on her head from the barrel of the bat. She
was fully alert while the stadium’s medical personnel treated her at her
seat, and was escorted to the first-aid room moments later.
As I’ve said over and over again, it’s only a matter of time before someone gets seriously hurt. This woman was on the plate side of the dugout. If, as I’ve suggested, the nets were extended to the dugout, this wouldn’t have happened.
Unfortunately — as is the case with everything else apparently, Major League Baeball will wait until the worst case scenario occurs before doing anything about it.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 72
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 34
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)