Jun 3, 2010, 10:25 AM EDT
Lots of things happened yesterday that were overshadowed by Griffey and Joyce/Galarraga. Here’s one from the Dodgers-Diamondbacks game that we shouldn’t just forget, however:
[Garret] Anderson shattered his bat grounding out in the second inning, and a
woman in the sixth row of seats near the home plate side of the first
base dugout received cuts on her head from the barrel of the bat. She
was fully alert while the stadium’s medical personnel treated her at her
seat, and was escorted to the first-aid room moments later.
As I’ve said over and over again, it’s only a matter of time before someone gets seriously hurt. This woman was on the plate side of the dugout. If, as I’ve suggested, the nets were extended to the dugout, this wouldn’t have happened.
Unfortunately — as is the case with everything else apparently, Major League Baeball will wait until the worst case scenario occurs before doing anything about it.
- Wild Card Game: Giants vs. Pirates lineups 1
- The beauty of belief 23
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 35
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 71
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)