Jun 3, 2010, 10:25 AM EDT
Lots of things happened yesterday that were overshadowed by Griffey and Joyce/Galarraga. Here’s one from the Dodgers-Diamondbacks game that we shouldn’t just forget, however:
[Garret] Anderson shattered his bat grounding out in the second inning, and a
woman in the sixth row of seats near the home plate side of the first
base dugout received cuts on her head from the barrel of the bat. She
was fully alert while the stadium’s medical personnel treated her at her
seat, and was escorted to the first-aid room moments later.
As I’ve said over and over again, it’s only a matter of time before someone gets seriously hurt. This woman was on the plate side of the dugout. If, as I’ve suggested, the nets were extended to the dugout, this wouldn’t have happened.
Unfortunately — as is the case with everything else apparently, Major League Baeball will wait until the worst case scenario occurs before doing anything about it.
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 1
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 22
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 79
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 91
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (110)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (91)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)