Fan injured by broken bat at Dodgers-Dbacks game

Jun 3, 2010, 10:25 AM EDT

Lots of things happened yesterday that were overshadowed by Griffey and Joyce/Galarraga. Here’s one from the Dodgers-Diamondbacks game that we shouldn’t just forget, however:

[Garret] Anderson shattered his bat grounding out in the second inning, and a
woman in the sixth row of seats near the home plate side of the first
base dugout received cuts on her head from the barrel of the bat. She
was fully alert while the stadium’s medical personnel treated her at her
seat, and was escorted to the first-aid room moments later.

As I’ve said over and over again, it’s only a matter of time before someone gets seriously hurt. This woman was on the plate side of the dugout. If, as I’ve suggested, the nets were extended to the dugout, this wouldn’t have happened.

Unfortunately — as is the case with everything else apparently, Major League Baeball will wait until the worst case scenario occurs before doing anything about it.

1. Rays fan - Jun 3, 2010 at 11:25 AM

Amen.
    There are also things that can/should be done to decrease bat shattering, as eventually a pitcher or other infielder is going to be impaled too.

2. RJM - Jun 3, 2010 at 12:30 PM

I seriously question that a bat could be broken with enough velocity to “impale” anyone in the stands or on the field, the real danger is foul balls or loosely held bats, not clumsily slow broken bat shards.

3. Steve A - Jun 3, 2010 at 12:36 PM

I was struck by a broken bat at an Arizona Fall League game a couple of years ago. Luckily, I only sustained a bruise in my elbow. We were in the second row right behind the dugout in the section closest to home plate just past the screen. I ducked one way, my fiancee ducked the other, and it hit me on the inside, so to speak. The scary thing is that if she ducked toward me, it could have ended a lot worse.
    I was able to keep the bat from the player. He autographed it and gave me the handle, too. It snapped in just the right spot so that it fit in my suitcase!

4. Jason @ IIATMS - Jun 3, 2010 at 12:54 PM

Craig, as you know, I have been as in front of this issue as anyone out there. There IS a solution. It’s dirt stinkin’ cheap. It adheres to baseball’s rules on materials on a bat and the 18″ requirements. It is invisible to players. It is invisible to fans. It has no impact on the performance of the bat. It has no impact on the performance of the ball. And it has been MLB-tested and proven to work.
    Yet, for some reason I’m not privy to, it’s stuck behind a roadblock within MLB’s bureaucracy. I’m not sure if it’s realted to their agreements with bat/equipment mfrs or something else. But the solution is available.
    With hesitation (feel free to delete this if you want), here’s a link to my discussions with/about BatGlove and their founder: http://itsaboutthemoney.net/?s=batglove
    And to BatGlove itself: http://www.batglove.com/Home.html

5. AJP - Jun 4, 2010 at 2:53 AM

I can tell you first hand that the bat at the Dodger game didn’t fly into the stands “clumsily slow.” It came in hard and fast on a line and fortunately didn’t hit my wife squarely. If it had, or if it had been the sharp end instead of the barrel that hit her it would have been a lot worse. We were sitting in the sixth row and the bat landed two rows behind us after it hit her. I love sitting close to the action but they do need to extend the screen behind home plate.
    Thankfully she only has a bruised hand and some stitches to close the gashes behind her ear – I hate to think of what would have happened if she hadn’t been paying attention and didn’t see it coming.
    We’ve got the bat hit her, it’s a hefty chunk of hardwood.

Alex Gordon, MVP candidate