HBT Extra: Good call Bud, but give us replay!

Jun 3, 2010, 4:55 PM EDT

Tiffany and I talk about instant replay and Bud’s decision to leave the Joyce call stand:

1. Steve - Jun 3, 2010 at 5:14 PM

Nooooooo!!! Craig, you said “The Human Element!!!!”
    Players = Human Element
    The Umps don’t get to enter that equation. I don’t pay to see them effect the outcome of the game.

2. Dan Whitney - Jun 3, 2010 at 5:17 PM

Damn, Craig, that is a futuristic wall you’ve got in your basement!

3. Craig Calcaterra - Jun 3, 2010 at 5:19 PM

Steve: I kind of meant there to be imaginary sarcasm quotes around “the human element” but just didn’t emote it enough and was too afraid to do air quotes with my hands.
    Dan: We had to open up a portal to the future in order to get that background down there.

4. mirage - Jun 3, 2010 at 5:31 PM

i’d favor giving the crew chief the authority to decide when to use replay, not just for homerun calls. it keeps the umps in control of the game, yet allows them to use their professional discretion to correct their errors in real time. it might lead to more on-field arguments as a manager or player tries to coerce a replay review.

5. Steve - Jun 3, 2010 at 5:36 PM

Whew. You almost gave me a heart attack with that one.

6. Steve - Jun 3, 2010 at 5:41 PM

I’m in favor of a replay ump that isn’t on the field. Sending the umps into the dugout/clubhouse to review a call is ridiculous. Have one guy watching the monitor and give him the authority to overrule a call when necessary. And no one should complain about the cost because getting it right is more important that the extra few million it cost to hire a replay official. That could also eliminate the six ump playoff system.

7. RamboDiaz - Jun 3, 2010 at 7:54 PM

Craig, I’ll PayPal you $5 if you make a Hardball Video Game reference involving Pepi Perez or Lefty Wright in your next HBT Extra. $10 if you use the main theme music from the game.

8. JimmyY - Jun 3, 2010 at 9:29 PM

Craig,
    Succinct, articulate, me like! Oh, yeah, besides Tiffany I like what you said, to.

9. Old Gator - Jun 4, 2010 at 12:00 AM

Craig, do you actually hold out any hope that that slack-jawed, beady eyed, phlegmatic dithering dolt of a Commissioner is going to do something about this at all…much less immediately?
    Ah well. It’s probably a hopeful sign for humanity at large that all those years of law school and practice didn’t turn you into a total cynic. I guess if you can hope for Bud Light to do something, you can have faith in anything.

Papelbon destined to be traded?
  1. G. Stanton (3779)