Jun 3, 2010, 5:40 PM EDT
Here’s some pretty moving video of the exchange of lineup cards before the Tigers-Indians game today. Jim Joyce takes the field and tears come to his eyes. He shakes Armando Galarraga’s hand and does his best to get to work. The announcers laud him for “standing up like a man” in both coming out and doing his job today and in taking responsibility for his mistake last night. Just gripping, gripping stuff.
Joyce has made his call. Bud has made his. We must hold Bud’s feet to the fire over replay and improving umpiring, but those things notwithstanding, it’s time for everyone to move on, ain’t it?
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 7
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 11
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 88
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 72
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)