Joyce and Galarraga to meet again today

Jun 3, 2010, 11:05 AM EDT

The Indians and the Tigers play at 1:05 Eastern today.  According to Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, the Tigers are
going to have Armando Galarraga deliver the lineup card out to the home
plate before umpire before the game.

The wrinkle: because he was the first base umpire last night, Jim Joyce will be the home plate umpire. Ain’t that delicious?

It could be a very special moment.

1. Megary - Jun 3, 2010 at 11:21 AM

Apologies if this was asked before…
    Had Joyce suggested afterward (and I don’t believe he ever hinted to the fact) that he felt the pitcher did not have control of the ball and therefore called the runner safe, could the official scorer change the “infield single” call to an error on the pitcher, thereby preserving at least a no hitter?
    All water under the bridge, I know…

2. Jack Ludwig aka Vox Publicuss Confuseus - Jun 3, 2010 at 11:44 AM

Give us all a break and “Do the right thing!” Galarraga earned a perfect game. Overturn the horribly missed all of the out at first base. It should not take a boycott of baseball to get it fixed.
    Then Charlie Hustle Rose can also be voted into the Hall of Fane for his playing prowess and black band his stuff with note of his gambling and IRS misdeeds.

3. Tax Analyst - Jun 3, 2010 at 11:56 AM

“My guess and my hope: Galarraga — who has shown nothing but class since last night’s events — will warmly shake Joyce’s hand and do whatever he can to exhibit support for a guy who did the only thing he could and own up to his mistake.”
    Agreed, Craig. I think the Commissioner might overturn the call in this instance. Normally I would consider it a bad precedent, but since it was the final out and all parties, including the umpire, agree it was an incorrect call it would not have any other impact on the final score or require replaying any at bats, etc.
    But I guess we will see what happens…

4. Mick - Jun 3, 2010 at 12:06 PM

The official scorer said he wouldn’t rule it an error:
    Chuck Klonke, the official scorer Wednesday night with nearly three decades of experience, said he would not change the disputed play to an error from a hit to give Galarraga a no-hitter.
    “I looked at the replay right after it happened, and Miguel Cabrera made a good throw and Galarraga didn’t miss the bag so you couldn’t do anything but call it a hit,” Klonke said Thursday morning. “I watched the replay from the center-field camera, which some people thought showed Galarraga might’ve bobbled the ball, and I didn’t see it that way at all. I have 24 hours to change a call, but I wouldn’t consider it.

5. Megary - Jun 3, 2010 at 12:22 PM

Mick – And I agree with the scorer completely.
    However, I guess my question is this: Had Joyce said afterward that the reason he called the runner safe was not because he felt the runner beat the throw but because he saw the pitcher bobble the ball, would that be enough to overturn the hit and score it an error? Because let’s say that Joyce, in real time, made a safe call followed by an up-and-down motion with his hands suggesting no posession, the scorer would have no choice but to rule error, no?
    This is all hypothetical and an exercise in futility of course.

6. RobRob - Jun 3, 2010 at 12:25 PM

Something that seems to be lost in all of this is the fact that Joyce made a really tough call. Say what you will about how difficult it was to get that one correct, but how hard was it also to call someone safe at that point in the game? We’ve all seen home plate umpires get caught up in the moment and start calling a lot more borderline strikes (cough, Eric Gregg, cough), or phantom tags at second on a double play (I’m looking at you, Tim Tschida), but unless you think that Joyce had some kind of bias against Galarraga and/or the Tigers, that’s a hell of a call to make on batter #27.
    In a way, that speaks well of Jim Joyce and his integrity as an umpire that he made the call he thought was correct instead of the one that would have been all too easy to make on posterity alone.

7. Impressed - Jun 3, 2010 at 1:06 PM

RobRob, excellent point.

8. Eric - Jun 3, 2010 at 10:19 PM

Agreed. I am an umpire and know MANY who would have let that play end as an out just because it’s the easy way out. Imagine if it had been the other way around (runner there just before the pitcher and an out call). Would we all be up in arms about giving a guy a perfect game that wasn’t earned? Would be all be incensed that all the other pitchers earned the perfect game and he hadn’t? I doubt it.

9. UmpEric - Jun 3, 2010 at 10:24 PM

Believe it or not, bang-bang plays with runner and fielder “racing” for the bag are the hardest to call. All the things umpires look for to assist in making the call are out the window.
    What a crappy way to end it, whether he was safe (as a result of Galarraga not maintaining control), or out (because Galarraga’s foot clearly beat the runner’s to the bag).

All the trade deadline news to know