Jun 3, 2010, 8:01 AM EDT
All hell broke loose last night, and on the off-chance that you people have lives outside of baseball and weren’t glued to this blog, here’s a recap of our zone-flooding coverage:
- Ken Griffey Jr. retired. Was he overrated? Probably a bit, and he may have hung on too long, but he’s still a first-ballot Hall of Famer so we’ll forget that soon enough. We’ll have more on Griffey later this morning;
- Twenty-seven up, twenty-seven down . . . almost;
- I’m done seeing both sides of the issue. Instant. Replay. Now.
- The big question — and, based on the number of comments overnight, one on which there are strong feelings on both sides: should Bud Selig step in and overturn Jim Joyce’s blown call and award Galarraga the perfect game?
- Lost in the shuffle, but man, oh man, how about Austin Jackson’s catch in the ninth inning? If Joyce doesn’t blow that call, doesn’t someone buy him a watch or something?
- Oh, and let’s not forget that there were 14 other games last night too.
I’m sure there will be much more about both the Griffey retirement and the Joyce call as the day goes on, so tune it in to HardballTalk and rip off the dial. We got you covered.
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 4
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 9
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 63
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 27
- Tigers acquire closer Joakim Soria from the Rangers 55
- Phillies officials “have contemplated the possibility of paying off” and releasing Ryan Howard 42
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 20
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 161
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)