Jun 3, 2010, 11:41 PM EDT
UPDATE: ESPN’s Buster Olney reports that Trembley may have been fired this evening. That wouldn’t be a shock, given that the media has known about his fate for close to eight hours now.
3:41pm: The move has been rumored for a while now, but Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun reports that the Orioles are expected to fire manager Dave Trembley following this afternoon’s game against the Yankees.
According to Connolly, president of baseball operations Andy MacPhail is expected to meet with Trembley when the team returns to Baltimore tonight and will likely name third base coach Juan Samuel as the interim manager prior to the home series against the Red Sox that begins tomorrow.
Barring a comeback this afternoon the Orioles will be on an eight-game losing streak and have the worst record in all of baseball at 15-39. Since taking over the team midway through the 2007 season Trembley is 187-283, for a .398 winning percentage that trails only Manny Acta (.384) among active managers with at least two seasons of experience and ranks as the 12th-worst mark of all time.
Much like Trey Hillman in Kansas City there’s little reason to think Trembley deserves to keep the job, but the organization’s problems extend well beyond him. Baltimore hasn’t had a winning season since way back in 1997–when Brian Matusz was 10 years old and both Adam Jones and Matt Wieters were 11–and Trembley’s replacement will be the Orioles’ sixth different manager during that time.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 14
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 78
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 14
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)