Jun 3, 2010, 11:41 PM EDT
UPDATE: ESPN’s Buster Olney reports that Trembley may have been fired this evening. That wouldn’t be a shock, given that the media has known about his fate for close to eight hours now.
3:41pm: The move has been rumored for a while now, but Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun reports that the Orioles are expected to fire manager Dave Trembley following this afternoon’s game against the Yankees.
According to Connolly, president of baseball operations Andy MacPhail is expected to meet with Trembley when the team returns to Baltimore tonight and will likely name third base coach Juan Samuel as the interim manager prior to the home series against the Red Sox that begins tomorrow.
Barring a comeback this afternoon the Orioles will be on an eight-game losing streak and have the worst record in all of baseball at 15-39. Since taking over the team midway through the 2007 season Trembley is 187-283, for a .398 winning percentage that trails only Manny Acta (.384) among active managers with at least two seasons of experience and ranks as the 12th-worst mark of all time.
Much like Trey Hillman in Kansas City there’s little reason to think Trembley deserves to keep the job, but the organization’s problems extend well beyond him. Baltimore hasn’t had a winning season since way back in 1997–when Brian Matusz was 10 years old and both Adam Jones and Matt Wieters were 11–and Trembley’s replacement will be the Orioles’ sixth different manager during that time.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)