Jun 3, 2010, 11:41 PM EDT
UPDATE: ESPN’s Buster Olney reports that Trembley may have been fired this evening. That wouldn’t be a shock, given that the media has known about his fate for close to eight hours now.
3:41pm: The move has been rumored for a while now, but Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun reports that the Orioles are expected to fire manager Dave Trembley following this afternoon’s game against the Yankees.
According to Connolly, president of baseball operations Andy MacPhail is expected to meet with Trembley when the team returns to Baltimore tonight and will likely name third base coach Juan Samuel as the interim manager prior to the home series against the Red Sox that begins tomorrow.
Barring a comeback this afternoon the Orioles will be on an eight-game losing streak and have the worst record in all of baseball at 15-39. Since taking over the team midway through the 2007 season Trembley is 187-283, for a .398 winning percentage that trails only Manny Acta (.384) among active managers with at least two seasons of experience and ranks as the 12th-worst mark of all time.
Much like Trey Hillman in Kansas City there’s little reason to think Trembley deserves to keep the job, but the organization’s problems extend well beyond him. Baltimore hasn’t had a winning season since way back in 1997–when Brian Matusz was 10 years old and both Adam Jones and Matt Wieters were 11–and Trembley’s replacement will be the Orioles’ sixth different manager during that time.
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 4
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 7
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 26
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 58
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 4
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 77
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 36
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (184)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (100)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence (91)