UPDATE: O's reportedly to fire manager Dave Trembley before tomorrow's game

Jun 3, 2010, 11:41 PM EDT

UPDATE:  ESPN’s Buster Olney reports that Trembley may have been fired this evening.  That wouldn’t be a shock, given that the media has known about his fate for close to eight hours now.

3:41pm:  The move has been rumored for a while now, but Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun reports that the Orioles are expected to fire manager Dave Trembley following this afternoon’s game against the Yankees.

According to Connolly, president of baseball operations Andy MacPhail is expected to meet with Trembley when the team returns to Baltimore tonight and will likely name third base coach Juan Samuel as the interim manager prior to the home series against the Red Sox that begins tomorrow.

Barring a comeback this afternoon the Orioles will be on an eight-game losing streak and have the worst record in all of baseball at 15-39. Since taking over the team midway through the 2007 season Trembley is 187-283, for a .398 winning percentage that trails only Manny Acta (.384) among active managers with at least two seasons of experience and ranks as the 12th-worst mark of all time.

Much like Trey Hillman in Kansas City there’s little reason to think Trembley deserves to keep the job, but the organization’s problems extend well beyond him. Baltimore hasn’t had a winning season since way back in 1997–when Brian Matusz was 10 years old and both Adam Jones and Matt Wieters were 11–and Trembley’s replacement will be the Orioles’ sixth different manager during that time.

1. Old Gator - Jun 3, 2010 at 3:50 PM

Juan…Samuel? Boy, a lot of old line Mutts fans are going to crack a smile and a half at that one, recalling one of the worst trades in Mutts history: Lenny Dykstra for the whining (“No quiero lugar aqui!”), malcontent, grumpy bust of a ballplayer they got in return, while Dykstra helped lead the Feelies to a world championship.
    I give Samuel the benefit of the doubt and figure he might have done some growing up since way back when. I hope so. My son lives in Baltimore, roots for the Boids, and I don’t want to see him suffer any more.

2. JerseyJim - Jun 3, 2010 at 5:09 PM

The Phillies did not win a World Championship with Lenny, though they did lose to the Jays 4-2 in the 93 World Series.

3. Larry E. Binz - Jun 3, 2010 at 5:15 PM

How far down the “O’s” have fallen.
    I grew up in Little Rock; had the Brooks Robinson 1961 card that I protected with my life until momma thought I was too big for such things and threw away my entire 1961 Topps card set.
    Brooks and Frank Robinson were the tandemn that won the 1966 World Series against Koufax and Drysdale and again in 1970 against the Reds.
    Maybe one day the Orioles will find a way to inch back in the hierarchy.
    Saw a story just today former Orioles pitcher Milt Pappas who said Detroit hurler Gallaraga was screwed out his perfect game Wednesday night. Pappas pitched a no-hitter for the Cubs way, way back and was one batter shy of his own perfect game.

4. Mark - Jun 3, 2010 at 6:56 PM

The problems with the O’s run alot deeper than the field manager. I believe the O’s troubles all started when owner Pete Angelos thought he’s show everyone he knows the game, fired Davey Johnson – BIG MISTAKE – HUGE. At that same time, he had run-ins with a few other players and front office personnel who were negotiating contracts. Angelos got the reputation worse than George Steinbrenner and no one wanted to work for him.
    Look at the people (players and managers) who have left the O’s to find their path to success. Trembley is a softie. They need someone with some fortitude and backbone. And Peter Angelos needs to stay in the back, or sell the team to someone who will keep the team in Baltimore, and knows where an owner’s place is.
    Honestly, I first thought he was ruining the team so attendance would go down and he could move the team. Then, I thought he squandered a great opportunity spending the Nats TV revenues in all the wrong directions – maybe he was robbing Peter (aka The O’s) to pay Paul (some other; perhaps a hotel, project across the street from the stadium).
    I thought it was a very sad sad day when I heard the radio announcer say that one night’s attendance was only 9,000 souls. It is even more sad to see all those empty seats in the lower as well as upper decks of the seating bowl.
    SHAME ON YOU PETER ANGELOS……

5. andy b - Jun 3, 2010 at 8:40 PM

AFTER THIS SEASON THE NEW MANAGER FOR THE ORIOLES SHOULD BE NONE
    OTHER THAN THE GREAT EDDIE MURRAY.HE INTERVIEWED FOR THIS JOB 3 YEARS AGO.
    . HE CAN BRING THEM BACK TO RESPECTABILITY. LETS GO EDDIE.

6. GARY W OVERTON - Jun 3, 2010 at 10:30 PM

The O’s are pathetic, they lack the basic’s. I watched the game this afternoon, the batters look dead. The whole organization needs to be turn upside down. Its been like this for a few years. I have been a Oriole fan since I was kid, what past teams they have had. Now they’re a joke!

7. justin - Jun 4, 2010 at 1:30 AM

I agree with you 100 % Angelos is the problem . He took a great franchise and disgraced it . I was listening to the Yankee announcers the other day when the O’s were playing the Yanks , and they said it’s been 13 yrs since the O’s were over the five hundred mark . I know this can’t be done , but Angelos ought to be forced to sell the team and be banned from baseball . Believe me Juan Samuel will be no improvement , that ship has been sunk for a long time .

8. 33O's - Jun 5, 2010 at 11:06 AM

I completely agree. I know he would love to get back in the game and he always worked well with some of the younger guys….Cal Ripken turned out okay!

Alex Gordon, MVP candidate