Jun 3, 2010, 9:20 PM EDT
Jason Bartlett suffered a mild strain of his right hamstring last Saturday in a game against the White Sox. He was hoping to sit out a few days and rejoin the Rays’ lineup at some point this week. Unfortunately the 30-year-old shortstop was unable to shake the discomfort and was placed on the disabled list Thursday evening, according to the Tampa Tribune.
Bartlett was off to a rather disappointing start this year before suffering the injury. Through 48 games he has a .231 batting average, a .327 on-base percentage and only one home run. Reid Brignac, who has played well in a limited role, is likely to see the majority of starts at shortstop for the Rays over the next two weeks.
Catcher Kelly Shoppach will be activated from his own stint on the 15-day disabled list Friday in a corresponding move.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (133)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)