Jun 3, 2010, 9:20 PM EDT
Jason Bartlett suffered a mild strain of his right hamstring last Saturday in a game against the White Sox. He was hoping to sit out a few days and rejoin the Rays’ lineup at some point this week. Unfortunately the 30-year-old shortstop was unable to shake the discomfort and was placed on the disabled list Thursday evening, according to the Tampa Tribune.
Bartlett was off to a rather disappointing start this year before suffering the injury. Through 48 games he has a .231 batting average, a .327 on-base percentage and only one home run. Reid Brignac, who has played well in a limited role, is likely to see the majority of starts at shortstop for the Rays over the next two weeks.
Catcher Kelly Shoppach will be activated from his own stint on the 15-day disabled list Friday in a corresponding move.
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 70
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 47
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 9
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)