Jun 3, 2010, 9:20 PM EDT
Jason Bartlett suffered a mild strain of his right hamstring last Saturday in a game against the White Sox. He was hoping to sit out a few days and rejoin the Rays’ lineup at some point this week. Unfortunately the 30-year-old shortstop was unable to shake the discomfort and was placed on the disabled list Thursday evening, according to the Tampa Tribune.
Bartlett was off to a rather disappointing start this year before suffering the injury. Through 48 games he has a .231 batting average, a .327 on-base percentage and only one home run. Reid Brignac, who has played well in a limited role, is likely to see the majority of starts at shortstop for the Rays over the next two weeks.
Catcher Kelly Shoppach will be activated from his own stint on the 15-day disabled list Friday in a corresponding move.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 87
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 75
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 69
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)