Jun 3, 2010, 9:20 PM EDT
Jason Bartlett suffered a mild strain of his right hamstring last Saturday in a game against the White Sox. He was hoping to sit out a few days and rejoin the Rays’ lineup at some point this week. Unfortunately the 30-year-old shortstop was unable to shake the discomfort and was placed on the disabled list Thursday evening, according to the Tampa Tribune.
Bartlett was off to a rather disappointing start this year before suffering the injury. Through 48 games he has a .231 batting average, a .327 on-base percentage and only one home run. Reid Brignac, who has played well in a limited role, is likely to see the majority of starts at shortstop for the Rays over the next two weeks.
Catcher Kelly Shoppach will be activated from his own stint on the 15-day disabled list Friday in a corresponding move.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 63
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 111
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 57
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (111)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)