And That Happened: Thursday's Scores and Highlights

Jun 4, 2010, 6:05 AM EST

Carlos Lee waving.jpgAstros 6, Nationals 4: A walkoff two-run homer for Carlos Lee. The Nationals helped set it up, however, when Cristan Guzman lost
a Lance Berkman liner in the lights and had it bounce in front of him
allowing Michael Bourn to score.

Braves 4, Dodgers 3: The best kept secret in baseball? Kris Medlen. The youngin’ who somehow made it OK for the Braves to lose Jair Jurrjens pitches a strong seven and a third innings to help Atlanta to its ninth straight win. The Dodgers’ pitchers’ streak of scoreless innings ended in the first when Troy Glaus doubled singled in Martin Prado.

Marlins 3, Brewers 2: Josh Johnson took a tough loss against Halladay
last weekend — when the other dude throws a perfect game whaddaya gonna
do? — but he was strong again yesterday, giving up one run on seven
hits in seven innings and striking out eight. Because he toils for the
Marlins it’s possible that he’s more of a secret than Kris Medlen,
although given just how damn good he is there’s no excuse for it.

Tigers 12, Indians 6: Rick Porcello falls a mere seven hits a walk a few
errors and about three innings short of a perfect game. I really hope
Bud Selig does something about this. It’s a shame that we were all
deprived of seeing history.

Mariners 4, Twins 1: King Felix picks up his first win in eight starts. Maybe almost getting his head taken off by a Justin Morneau comebacker woke him up. Casey Kotchman set a major league record for consecutive chances without an
error by a first baseman. He’s now at 2,008, breaking Kevin Youkilis’ old record of 2,002.

White Sox 4, Rangers 3: Carlos Quentin dropped a routine flyball allowing a run to score and got booed. A couple innings later he hit a two-run homer that proved to be the game winner. Oh, and Freddy Garcia has the most wins of any White Sox starter. Which is . . . unexpected.

Angels 5, Royals 4: One out and the bases loaded in the sixth inning. The ball is hit to Allberto Callaspo at third. Callaspo steps on the bag to get the runner from second and then throws home to Jason Kendall. Kendall fails to realize that there is no longer a force at home so he doesn’t try to tag the runner. Rather, he merely steps on the plate and the run scores.  Mind you, Kendall’s veteran savvy and leadership is the primary reason he’s making $6 million between this year and next.

Athletics 9, Red Sox 8: Thirty-two hits between the teams, four of which were Oakland homers. The A’s hadn’t previously hit more than two in a game this season. The A’s lost two players to injury, but the Red Sox had two guys gunned down at home. Advantage: Oakland.

Yankees 6, Orioles 3: Eight straight down the toilet for the Orioles who, depending on which reports you believe this morning, have either fired Dave Trembley or are about to. I do a weekly Friday morning radio spot on WNST in Baltimore. I wonder what we’ll talk about today?

1. Jonny5 - Jun 4, 2010 at 8:34 AM

Awesome! The Phillies didn’t get beat again last night!! One less mark in the “L” column… WooHoo!

2. Ross - Jun 4, 2010 at 8:45 AM

I was going to make the same joke about my Cubs.

3. APBA Guy - Jun 4, 2010 at 9:55 AM

1) At the ratio of one player per two home runs, Oakland can probably afford to keep slugging for about another 20 games since the players at AAA are about as good as the ones on the big club. At that point the A’s will have to revert to their usual no-power selves. Craig, sorry your knuckleballer had nothing yesterday. But when Kurt Suzuki takes you deep twice in a row you really have to question your stuff.
    2) Bret Anderson has elbow soreness, after being on the DL for a month with “forearm stiffness”. I wonder if there’s a discreet visit to Dr. Andrews in his immediate future.
    3) Oakland finished the 10 game road trip 6-4. Back when Billy Beane used to pay attention to baseball he said that April and May were used to determine what the club needed to compete, and June and July were for acquiring the missing pieces. Now that he’s Soccer Billy I’m guessing they make no moves outside the system.

4. Old Gator - Jun 4, 2010 at 10:56 AM

Oddly enough, I was in San Jose last week to see the Ghengis Khan exhibit at the Tech downtown. First time I’ve been in that town outside of my car. I wandered around a bit and had to wonder what it was that makes the A’s ownership think they’re going to do any better down there, at the far end of the Bay area conurbation, than they were doing right smack in the geographical middle of it. Yeah, San Jose has a cleaner, newer (did I say “sterile”?) downtown, but still….
    The Feesh. What can you say about JJ? He’s awesome when he’s on. Of course the boolpen did what it could to hand the game back to the Brooze, but Vladimir Nunez wiggled off the hook in the bottom of what was shaping up as a classic Feesh boolpen meltdown ninth. Nunez looks impressive on paper so far – he’s converted 12 of 14 saves, is 2-0 with a 2.28 ERA, but boy, he still makes those ninth innings into nervous affairs. He ain’t quite Mitch Williams anymore, and he’s a lot better than he was last year, but something tells me that when we get into the late season crunch time he’s not going to be bulletproof. Hope I’m wrong.

5. APBA Guy - Jun 4, 2010 at 3:03 PM

Hope you enjoyed the rain last week. It’s a rare May when there’s any moisture. I understand your SJ observations. But downtown SJ should not be confused with downtown Macondo, especially since it lacks anything approaching a Calle Ocho scene.
    Try to think of where you were as the center of an oozing mass that’s spreading South and West. Now, further stretch your imagination and try to think of a time of prosperity, not so far in the past, when people from all over the country flocked to Silicon Valley to work. They discovered that the hideous housing prices on NorCal were slightly less hideous South and West of where you stood, and if they were also unlucky enough to have kids, they could find family housing 40 miles South in Morgan Hill. So many came in fact that the Santa Clara county/San Jose population is roughly 50% larger than the combined population of San Francisco and San Mateo county where us far more discerning folk live.
    True, there was a lot of growth West of Oakland, but unfortunately quite a few of those residents are no longer with us, as those no- doc loans of the bubble era have exploded already and vaporized their holders. So in the future not only will the population surrounding San Jose grow more rapidly than the area immediately around Oakland, it will be more affluent also. And that’s what Wolf/Fisher are after, that demographic.
    Too bad you didn’t get a chance to see the Beloved A’s in person. You’d have felt much better about the Feesh, although certain owner related similarities would have been apparent to you as well, and they may have caused some upset. But probably nothing that a Kinders barbecue and Kona Longboard lager couldn’t cure.

6. Old Gator - Jun 4, 2010 at 5:30 PM

Actually, I often try to see a ballgame when I’m in some alien land like the Bay area – I’ve managed to get tickets to a bunch of Japanese games on several occasions when I’ve been over there, the most memorable being a 1-0 extra inning game won by the Hanshin Tigers over the Yomiuri Giants in Tokyo, and the second most memorable being a whacked out slugfest of a game between the Fukuoka Swallows and the Toyo Carp in Hiroshima, with the ground zero bomb dome clearly visible in the Peace Park across the street. Unfortunately my schedule was completely occupied last week but I would love to get to see the A’s play at home. I have frozen my ass off at Candlestick Park, however, in a game the Jints dropped to the bums on a wild pitch in the 10th inning. That was years and years ago, and I was still coming down from some Owsley I scored on the panhandle after a Dead/Airplane show in the park. Does that put it in temporal perspective? Talk about vaporized….but thanks for the input on the south end demographics. I was scratching my head about that.
    Yeah, I actually did enjoy the rain. I went for a damp hike at Portola Redwoods park, looking for newts – those viciously toxic cute little things that abound in your woods up there and come out when it rains – but only found one small alligator lizard (figures, right?) under a slab of redwood bark that bit the shit out of my finger. Dammit, those little things can snap. If I had the same bite force relative to my size, I could chew right through a week-old bagel.
    Speaking of discernment, as you drive north along Route 1 to Olema and take the right onto Frances Drake (and what did they do with that plaque anyway?), there’s a big old white house on the corner called the Olema Inn or some such thing. We stopped there on that beautiful Saturday that kicked off the long weekend for a brew and were served by a devastatingly beautiful Mex-Am waitress who made me the best non-alky mint julep I’ve ever had, and served us some sublime rare cheeses and fresh fruit and a half dozen oysters variously dressed, all sublime as well. It makes a nifty stop en route on a sunny day lark.

7. APBA Guy - Jun 5, 2010 at 1:25 AM

Well, we aim to please around here, though if you were hangin’ in Marin these days you are either:
    1) relieving your “Serial” days
    2) Misinformed as to Lucas’ present whereabouts
    3) On your way to see Lars Ulrich
    4) enjoying some devastating beautiful country
    Me, I usually am roaring through on 101 on my way to Sonoma. But I’ll check in on the Olema.
    Thanks!

8. Old Gator - Jun 5, 2010 at 11:09 AM

Serial: one of the great unsung funniest films ever made, and if you either live, have lived or spent enough time in Marin County to get familiar with the culture, it’s even funnier. Martin Mull is one of our most underrecognized geniuses, and Tuesday Weld – well, let me not fantasize out loud with my wife just over there in the kitchen. Christopher Lee should have called it a career right then and there; he was never going to top that performance as an imperious corporate headhunter by day and leader of a gay motorcycle gang called the Road Reamers on the weekends. I could go on but there’s nothing I could tell you that you don’t already know about it.
    Yeah, that’s the place. They even have a photo of the very oysters they served us. I do wish they’d included a photo of that waitress, though. A memorable beauty.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (3243)
  2. J. Kang (3099)
  3. C. McGehee (2810)
  4. W. Middlebrooks (2789)
  5. J. Upton (2778)