Jun 4, 2010, 7:35 PM EDT
UDPATE: Brett Anderson has been placed on the 15-day disabled list with left elbow inflammation, according to a team press release.
Earlier this afternoon, Mychael Urban of CSNBayArea.com reported that the Athletics fear Anderson could be “done” for the year due to the injury, but Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle hears that Anderson may only need to miss a few starts, similar to his previous DL-stint. We’ll soon find out.
Friday, 12:44PM: Brett Anderson spent most of May on the disabled list with inflammation in his forearm and elbow, but looked plenty healthy while shutting out the Tigers for 5.2 innings last week in his return start.
Unfortunately his second outing didn’t go nearly as well yesterday, as Anderson left after 2.2 innings with tightness in his elbow and could be headed right back to the DL, calling the problem “a reoccurring of what happened last time.”
“It’s tough to tell how it is,” Anderson told Joe Stiglich of the San Jose Mercury News. “My slider just wasn’t the same. At-bats where there’s two strikes, it’s usually a put-away pitch. But I just left it over the middle.”
Anderson will be examined by doctors today while the A’s hold their collective breath that the 22-year-old southpaw hasn’t already done enough damage to require surgery. Following an impressive rookie season the A’s quickly determined that Anderson was a big part of their future and signed him to a long-term contract that could be worth up to $31 million.
Acquired from the Diamondbacks as part of the Dan Haren trade in December of 2007, Anderson has a 3.80 ERA and 174/49 K/BB ratio in 206 innings spread over 36 career starts despite being the second-youngest starter in the league.
- The Dodgers and Braves are deep into trade talks involving Juan Uribe and Alberto Callaspo 15
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 50
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 41
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 6
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 19
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 59
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 26
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)