Jun 4, 2010, 1:15 PM EDT
I’m not saying all Tigers fans upset with the call in the other night’s game are dumb. Just the ones who are CALLING THE WRONG JIM JOYCE:
“I was watching it in our family room,” said a
different Jim Joyce from Toledo. “We’re Tigers fans, so we were
disappointed as well.”
But Joyce’s disappointment quickly turned to
frustration, then fear. Fans upset with the umpire Joyce’s call heard
announcers say the umpire was from Toledo and started calling the other
Jim Joyce who’s listed in the Toledo phone book.
“I would guess 40 would be conservative,”
Joyce said. “They were coming in…four or five at a time it seemed
like, with call waiting and everything.”
Somebody even posted his name, address and
phone number on Facebook. Thursday morning the misidentified Jim Joyce
had to cancel his home phone service.
“Everybody was pretty irate quite honestly,”
Joyce said, describing the calls. “A lot of them are vulgar things. Some
of them were funny about me needing new glasses but then they’d follow
it up with vulgarity as well.”
I love baseball more than just about anyone I know, but I can’t imagine what would cause me to seek out the phone number of an umpire so that I can call him at home to berate him (though if I did, I imagine I’d do my best to make sure it was the right guy).
Certain segments of society suffer from a perspective deficit disorder.
(link via Cleveland Scene)
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 11
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 36
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)