Jun 4, 2010, 3:44 PM EST
When last we checked in on Garrett Wittels the Florida International shortstop was riding a 50-game hitting streak, leaving him eight short of Robin Ventura’s all-time record streak of 58 games for Oklahoma State in 1987.
Since then Wittels has hit safely in five more games, including swinging away on a 3-0 pitch in a blowout this afternoon and lining a double into right-center field. According to the Associated Press it was the first time during the streak that the Sun Belt conference player of the year has gotten a hit on a 3-0 count.
Because of FIU’s loss in the opening round of the NCAA tournament they’ll need to win their next matchup to even give Wittels a chance to extend his hitting streak past 56 games (which would, incidentally, tie Joe DiMaggio’s big-league mark). If they can’t, the streak would extend into next season.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 76
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)