Jun 4, 2010, 2:47 PM EST
As rumored earlier this week, the Giants have called up Pat Burrell from Triple-A just days after signing him to a minor-league contract.
Burrell went 5-for-16 (.313) with one homer and one double in five games at Triple-A, which was apparently enough to convince the Giants that he can at least be a viable bench bat despite earning his release from the Rays by hitting .218 with a .311 on-base percentage and .361 slugging percentage in 146 games over the past two seasons.
He looks washed up to me, but then again going from the NL to the AL often has that effect on veterans. Obviously the Giants are hoping a return to the NL can rejuvenate Burrell, as he smacked 33 homers with an .875 OPS during his last NL stint with the Phillies in 2008.
John Bowker will be demoted to the minors to make room for Burrell on the roster after hitting just .207 with a .609 OPS in limited action, perhaps signaling the 26-year-old’s last chance to claim a long-term role in San Francisco. Bowker’s minor-league numbers have always been solid, but he’s done nothing in 513 plate appearances during various stints with the Giants.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 68
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 158
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (160)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (135)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)