Jun 4, 2010, 7:20 PM EDT
It was the worst-case scenario for the Indians, who knew they were going to lose their center fielder for at least six-to-eight weeks following knee surgery on Friday. Grady Sizemore, though, required a microfracture procedure on his left knee, ending his season and possibly sidelining him to begin spring training 2011.
Sizemore ends what was supposed to be a comeback season at .211/.271/.289 with no homers in 128 at-bats. The three-time All-Star was limited to 106 games last year by groin and elbow injuries.
Filling in for Sizemore has been 2005 first-round pick Trevor Crowe. However, Crowe is hitting just .238/.291/.300 in 80 at-bats and figures to be supplanted soon by Michael Brantley.
Brantley, a superior defensive center fielder, is batting .288/.367/.353 in 139 at-bats in Triple-A. The son of former major leaguer Mickey Brantley has no power to speak of, but he’s traditionally done a very good job of getting on base.
One disppointing fact is that Brantley has stolen just four bases in six attempts this year. Last year, he was 46-for-51 stealing bases in 116 minor league games. He also hit .313/.358/.348 with four steals in 112 at-bats in his first exposure to major league pitching. Expect to see him batting leadoff for the Indians at some point within the next few weeks.
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 0
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 21
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 66
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 28
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 26
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week 134
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)