Jun 4, 2010, 7:20 PM EDT
It was the worst-case scenario for the Indians, who knew they were going to lose their center fielder for at least six-to-eight weeks following knee surgery on Friday. Grady Sizemore, though, required a microfracture procedure on his left knee, ending his season and possibly sidelining him to begin spring training 2011.
Sizemore ends what was supposed to be a comeback season at .211/.271/.289 with no homers in 128 at-bats. The three-time All-Star was limited to 106 games last year by groin and elbow injuries.
Filling in for Sizemore has been 2005 first-round pick Trevor Crowe. However, Crowe is hitting just .238/.291/.300 in 80 at-bats and figures to be supplanted soon by Michael Brantley.
Brantley, a superior defensive center fielder, is batting .288/.367/.353 in 139 at-bats in Triple-A. The son of former major leaguer Mickey Brantley has no power to speak of, but he’s traditionally done a very good job of getting on base.
One disppointing fact is that Brantley has stolen just four bases in six attempts this year. Last year, he was 46-for-51 stealing bases in 116 minor league games. He also hit .313/.358/.348 with four steals in 112 at-bats in his first exposure to major league pitching. Expect to see him batting leadoff for the Indians at some point within the next few weeks.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 19
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 55
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 17
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)