Jun 4, 2010, 7:20 PM EDT
It was the worst-case scenario for the Indians, who knew they were going to lose their center fielder for at least six-to-eight weeks following knee surgery on Friday. Grady Sizemore, though, required a microfracture procedure on his left knee, ending his season and possibly sidelining him to begin spring training 2011.
Sizemore ends what was supposed to be a comeback season at .211/.271/.289 with no homers in 128 at-bats. The three-time All-Star was limited to 106 games last year by groin and elbow injuries.
Filling in for Sizemore has been 2005 first-round pick Trevor Crowe. However, Crowe is hitting just .238/.291/.300 in 80 at-bats and figures to be supplanted soon by Michael Brantley.
Brantley, a superior defensive center fielder, is batting .288/.367/.353 in 139 at-bats in Triple-A. The son of former major leaguer Mickey Brantley has no power to speak of, but he’s traditionally done a very good job of getting on base.
One disppointing fact is that Brantley has stolen just four bases in six attempts this year. Last year, he was 46-for-51 stealing bases in 116 minor league games. He also hit .313/.358/.348 with four steals in 112 at-bats in his first exposure to major league pitching. Expect to see him batting leadoff for the Indians at some point within the next few weeks.
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 1
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 7
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 60
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 26
- Tigers acquire closer Joakim Soria from the Rangers 54
- Phillies officials “have contemplated the possibility of paying off” and releasing Ryan Howard 42
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 20
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 161
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (161)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)