Jun 4, 2010, 7:20 PM EDT
It was the worst-case scenario for the Indians, who knew they were going to lose their center fielder for at least six-to-eight weeks following knee surgery on Friday. Grady Sizemore, though, required a microfracture procedure on his left knee, ending his season and possibly sidelining him to begin spring training 2011.
Sizemore ends what was supposed to be a comeback season at .211/.271/.289 with no homers in 128 at-bats. The three-time All-Star was limited to 106 games last year by groin and elbow injuries.
Filling in for Sizemore has been 2005 first-round pick Trevor Crowe. However, Crowe is hitting just .238/.291/.300 in 80 at-bats and figures to be supplanted soon by Michael Brantley.
Brantley, a superior defensive center fielder, is batting .288/.367/.353 in 139 at-bats in Triple-A. The son of former major leaguer Mickey Brantley has no power to speak of, but he’s traditionally done a very good job of getting on base.
One disppointing fact is that Brantley has stolen just four bases in six attempts this year. Last year, he was 46-for-51 stealing bases in 116 minor league games. He also hit .313/.358/.348 with four steals in 112 at-bats in his first exposure to major league pitching. Expect to see him batting leadoff for the Indians at some point within the next few weeks.
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 0
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 38
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 18
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)