Jun 4, 2010, 1:49 PM EDT
Jimmy Rollins is eligible to return from his second disabled list stint of the season Sunday, but general manager Ruben Amaro admitted that the former MVP is still at least 10 days from rejoining the Phillies.
Out since May 22 after aggravating a calf injury, Rollins is “progressing slowly” according to Amaro. “He’s still feeling a little something in his calf, although when he runs on a treadmill or jogs on a treadmill, he’s fine,” the GM said. “When he gets to do some sprint work, he still feels some tightness in the calf. I think, hopefully, in the next 10 days or two weeks he’ll be back playing for us.”
Rollins initially injured his calf while doing some pregame running before the Phillies’ home opener on April 12, spent five weeks on the DL, and then lasted just five games before being placed back on the shelf. He even had to skip participating in his own charity bowling tournament for fear of making the injury worse.
Since losing him for the second time the Phillies are just 2-9 and have amazingly been shut out in 92 of 99 innings, although obviously being without Rollins is hardly the source of all those problems. Rollins has hit .341 with a 1.096 OPS in the 12 games he’s been healthy enough to play this season, but batted just .250 with a .719 OPS in 155 games last year. Wilson Valdez and Juan Castro have hit .263 with a .634 OPS replacing Rollins, so at least relative to his 2009 production the dropoff hasn’t been disastrous.
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 48
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 62
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 32
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (124)