Jun 4, 2010, 1:49 PM EDT
Jimmy Rollins is eligible to return from his second disabled list stint of the season Sunday, but general manager Ruben Amaro admitted that the former MVP is still at least 10 days from rejoining the Phillies.
Out since May 22 after aggravating a calf injury, Rollins is “progressing slowly” according to Amaro. “He’s still feeling a little something in his calf, although when he runs on a treadmill or jogs on a treadmill, he’s fine,” the GM said. “When he gets to do some sprint work, he still feels some tightness in the calf. I think, hopefully, in the next 10 days or two weeks he’ll be back playing for us.”
Rollins initially injured his calf while doing some pregame running before the Phillies’ home opener on April 12, spent five weeks on the DL, and then lasted just five games before being placed back on the shelf. He even had to skip participating in his own charity bowling tournament for fear of making the injury worse.
Since losing him for the second time the Phillies are just 2-9 and have amazingly been shut out in 92 of 99 innings, although obviously being without Rollins is hardly the source of all those problems. Rollins has hit .341 with a 1.096 OPS in the 12 games he’s been healthy enough to play this season, but batted just .250 with a .719 OPS in 155 games last year. Wilson Valdez and Juan Castro have hit .263 with a .634 OPS replacing Rollins, so at least relative to his 2009 production the dropoff hasn’t been disastrous.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 23
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 35
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 31
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 41
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)