Jun 4, 2010, 1:49 PM EDT
Jimmy Rollins is eligible to return from his second disabled list stint of the season Sunday, but general manager Ruben Amaro admitted that the former MVP is still at least 10 days from rejoining the Phillies.
Out since May 22 after aggravating a calf injury, Rollins is “progressing slowly” according to Amaro. “He’s still feeling a little something in his calf, although when he runs on a treadmill or jogs on a treadmill, he’s fine,” the GM said. “When he gets to do some sprint work, he still feels some tightness in the calf. I think, hopefully, in the next 10 days or two weeks he’ll be back playing for us.”
Rollins initially injured his calf while doing some pregame running before the Phillies’ home opener on April 12, spent five weeks on the DL, and then lasted just five games before being placed back on the shelf. He even had to skip participating in his own charity bowling tournament for fear of making the injury worse.
Since losing him for the second time the Phillies are just 2-9 and have amazingly been shut out in 92 of 99 innings, although obviously being without Rollins is hardly the source of all those problems. Rollins has hit .341 with a 1.096 OPS in the 12 games he’s been healthy enough to play this season, but batted just .250 with a .719 OPS in 155 games last year. Wilson Valdez and Juan Castro have hit .263 with a .634 OPS replacing Rollins, so at least relative to his 2009 production the dropoff hasn’t been disastrous.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 0
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 5
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 29
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 236
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 96
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (236)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (86)