Jun 4, 2010, 1:49 PM EDT
Jimmy Rollins is eligible to return from his second disabled list stint of the season Sunday, but general manager Ruben Amaro admitted that the former MVP is still at least 10 days from rejoining the Phillies.
Out since May 22 after aggravating a calf injury, Rollins is “progressing slowly” according to Amaro. “He’s still feeling a little something in his calf, although when he runs on a treadmill or jogs on a treadmill, he’s fine,” the GM said. “When he gets to do some sprint work, he still feels some tightness in the calf. I think, hopefully, in the next 10 days or two weeks he’ll be back playing for us.”
Rollins initially injured his calf while doing some pregame running before the Phillies’ home opener on April 12, spent five weeks on the DL, and then lasted just five games before being placed back on the shelf. He even had to skip participating in his own charity bowling tournament for fear of making the injury worse.
Since losing him for the second time the Phillies are just 2-9 and have amazingly been shut out in 92 of 99 innings, although obviously being without Rollins is hardly the source of all those problems. Rollins has hit .341 with a 1.096 OPS in the 12 games he’s been healthy enough to play this season, but batted just .250 with a .719 OPS in 155 games last year. Wilson Valdez and Juan Castro have hit .263 with a .634 OPS replacing Rollins, so at least relative to his 2009 production the dropoff hasn’t been disastrous.
- Dave Dombrowski on Miguel Cabrera: “It’s worse than what we ever would have anticipated” 2
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 3
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 33
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 2
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 12
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)