Quote of the Day: The Daily News' Bill Madden hates replay; modernity

Jun 4, 2010, 11:14 AM EST

Baseball has become dehumanized enough by sabermetricians and their
mind-numbing statistical analyses and it doesn’t need to be made more
complicated by having the potential for instant replay on every play.

Bill Madden of the New York Daily News, seemingly channeling his frustration over never figuring out how to get his VCR to stop flashing “12:00″ for the last 30 years.

Of course, the “complicated” replay system he envisions involves managers challenging calls on the field, which is downright footballian in its base crudity.

As I’ve counseled many times before, the way to implement replay is to stick an ump in the booth with a walkie-talkie and allow him to confer with the other umps when obvious mistakes occur, when close calls are argued and the like.  Basically, his input would be an extension of an umpires’ on-the-field conference, utilized in exactly the same way.

Would their be hiccups? Sure. But it’s the least intrusive means of implementing instant replay.

1. Lewis - Jun 4, 2010 at 1:43 PM

Side note – anyone check out Curt Schilling’s take on instant replay on ESPN? He very seriously proposed that adding instant replay to baseball could save lives, as a blown umpire call in the playoffs is “likely” to cause riots.
    Good times. Craig seems wishy-washy on the subject of instant replay in comparison to Curt.

2. Joe - Jun 4, 2010 at 1:48 PM

Keith Law is suggesting that “accountable” people don’t make mistakes? Bull. I’m accountable for my work. I make mistakes. And when I or somebody else discovers them (sometimes using technology), I go back and fix them. Because what matters most is that the final outcome is correct.

3. Joey B - Jun 4, 2010 at 2:57 PM

It could simply be that he’s getting old and doesn’t want to do the work necessary to keep up with his trade. I’ve seen people fight like heck to keep from using computers. All the stuff that he knew growing up? It’s mostly meaningless. It’s probably frustrating to have studied and observed BB for a lifetime, and now there is 16 year old kid trying to explain ISO and x-FIP to you.

4. Infinite Wisdom - Jun 4, 2010 at 4:00 PM

Umpires aren’t human?

5. willmose - Jun 4, 2010 at 6:45 PM

I guess I did miss something that a perfect game = brain surgery or flying a plane. BTW, tell me again how an instant replay with make brain surgery better.
    The saddest thing about all of this, is that it is the fault of that group of south ends of north traveling horses that removed Shore’s and Haddix’s games from the list of perfect games. If they hadn’t then this one could have been the first 28-out perfect game. But people like you demand exactness when none is required. A perfect game must be exactly defined. I liked it better the old way when we all knew a perfect game when we saw one like what happened the other night.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester