Jun 5, 2010, 7:28 PM EST
Cardinals rookie third baseman David Freese is off to an incredible start this season and is on a short list of early favorites for the National League’s Rookie of the Year award. I’m under the belief that either Braves outfielder Jason Heyward or St. Louis lefty Jaime Garica would take the cake if the prize was awarded today.
Freese hit what could be his first road block on Saturday, when he suffered a right ankle sprain in an inter-division game against the Brewers. The news comes to us via B.J. Rains of Fox Sports Midwest. Freese was replaced at third base by Aaron Miles, who rejoined the Cardinals this week after about 14 months away from the club. Miles may get his first start of 2010 on Sunday with Felipe Lopez nursing a bruised finger.
Freese, a native St. Louisan, is batting .316 with a .385 on-base percentage and 32 RBI in only 52 games this season. He’s considered “day-to-day,” at least for now.
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 290
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (290)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)