Jun 5, 2010, 8:45 AM EDT
But it’s not the kind of history you normally want. As the Dodgers snapped the Braves nine-game winning streak on Friday night, Jason Heyward was 0-for-5 while tying a record for a nine-inning game with five strikeouts.
We’re all familiar with the “golden sombrero,” but it’s not often that
we get to pull out the “platinum sombrero,” or my personal favorite, “The
Olympic Rings.” According to David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, it has been done 54 other times in major league history and as recently as June 4, 2009 by Alex Rios. Heyward struck out four times against starter Clayton Kershaw and once against closer Jonathan Broxton.
Bobby Cox’s reaction to the event, according to O’Brien: “Whatever.”
It’s a momentary distraction from what otherwise has been a fantastic debut for the 20-year-old. Even with a recent 1-for-19 funk at the plate, Heyward is currently batting .274 with 10 home runs and 38 RBI. He currently ranks fourth in the National League with a .402 on-base percentage and .939 OPS. Sure, he has struck out in 24 percent of his at-bats, but you’ll sign up for a 42/33 K/BB ratio from a 20-year-old rookie anytime you can get it.
By the way, another piece of history, Kenshin Kawakami is now the first Braves pitcher to start a season 0-8 since Rosy Ryan of the 1926 Boston Braves. He hasn’t won a game since last August 31. It’s time to wonder if Kris Medlen has a chance to stick in the rotation once Jair Jurrjens returns from the disabled list later this month.
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 5
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 16
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 33
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 67
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 7
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)