Jason Heyward makes history in loss to Dodgers

Jun 5, 2010, 8:45 AM EDT

heyward headshot.jpgBut it’s not the kind of history you normally want. As the Dodgers snapped the Braves nine-game winning streak on Friday night, Jason Heyward was 0-for-5 while tying a record for a nine-inning game with five strikeouts.

We’re all familiar with the “golden sombrero,” but it’s not often that
we get to pull out the “platinum sombrero,” or my personal favorite, “The
Olympic Rings.” According to David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, it has been done 54 other times in major league history and as recently as June 4, 2009 by Alex Rios. Heyward struck out four times against starter Clayton Kershaw and once against closer Jonathan Broxton.

Bobby Cox’s reaction to the event, according to O’Brien: “Whatever.”

It’s a momentary distraction from what otherwise has been a fantastic debut for the 20-year-old. Even with a recent 1-for-19 funk at the plate, Heyward is currently batting .274 with 10 home runs and 38 RBI. He currently ranks fourth in the National League with a .402 on-base percentage and .939 OPS. Sure, he has struck out in 24 percent of his at-bats, but you’ll sign up for a 42/33 K/BB ratio from a 20-year-old rookie anytime you can get it.

By the way, another piece of history, Kenshin Kawakami is now the first Braves pitcher to start a season 0-8 since Rosy Ryan of the 1926 Boston Braves. He hasn’t won a game since last August 31. It’s time to wonder if Kris Medlen has a chance to stick in the rotation once Jair Jurrjens returns from the disabled list later this month.

1. stargatebabe - Jun 5, 2010 at 9:10 AM

I gotta agree with Cox, but for an entirely different reason – WHATEVER!

2. Charles Gates - Jun 5, 2010 at 9:29 AM

Was kinda hoping for a ‘Craig weeping in the corner’ tag.

3. Real Vikings fans wouldn't cheer for Favre - Jun 5, 2010 at 9:35 AM

I’m surprised it’s only been done 54 times.

4. D.J. Short - Jun 5, 2010 at 9:44 AM

You’re right. That would have been a nice touch.

5. Keith - Jun 5, 2010 at 10:28 AM

Wasn’t the five strikeout game called “The Horn” for Sam Horn? Or is that the six strikeout game?

6. D.J. Short - Jun 5, 2010 at 10:32 AM

Based on what I can find, it was the six strikeout game. It occurred in extra-innings, of course.

7. Craig Calcaterra - Jun 5, 2010 at 10:41 AM

This was intentional. He wants to see who among his followers doubts Him. My faith remains pure and strong, Jason. I shall not waiver.

8. Grant - Jun 5, 2010 at 11:44 AM

Bobby Cox is awesome. As an Orioles fan I am extremely jealous of Braves fans.

On a side note, my confirmation code for this post is “weekend magyar,” which I think is awesome.

9. Moses Heyward - Jun 5, 2010 at 1:16 PM

Hee hee – Olympic Rings. Hadn’t heard that one – me likey.

10. Deborah - Jun 5, 2010 at 3:36 PM

Jason will come out of it. All the media hype may be affecting him.

11. JoMamma - Jun 5, 2010 at 6:46 PM

I got a better name than platinu – How bout a dirty sombrero?!?!?

12. Paul Martin - Jun 5, 2010 at 6:56 PM

I just got back from watching Tex strike out 5 times in 14 innings. The Yankee fans sitting next to me were fine people.

13. Mornelithe - Jun 6, 2010 at 9:07 AM

Hah, ranks 4th in the NL…nice.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. G. Springer (3905)