Jun 5, 2010, 1:13 PM EDT
According to Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, the Cardinals have signed outfielder Randy Winn. He is expected to be in uniform for Saturday’s game against the Brewers.
Winn, who turns 36 next week, was designated for assignment by the Yankees last month after batting .213/.300/.295 with one home run and eight RBI over 61 at-bats. The addition of Winn comes just days after calling up Aaron Miles from the minor leagues. And you know what that means. Gary Matthews Jr. can’t be far behind. I kid, I kid. Winn probably doesn’t have much left in the tank, but he could benefit with a switch back to the National League style of play.
In order to make space for Winn on the 25-man roster, the Cardinals optioned outfielder Jon Jay to Triple-A Memphis. Kyle Lohse was transferred from the 15-day disabled list to the 60-day disabled list to create an opening on the 40-man.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 44
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 60
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 79
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 66
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)