Jun 5, 2010, 1:13 PM EDT
According to Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, the Cardinals have signed outfielder Randy Winn. He is expected to be in uniform for Saturday’s game against the Brewers.
Winn, who turns 36 next week, was designated for assignment by the Yankees last month after batting .213/.300/.295 with one home run and eight RBI over 61 at-bats. The addition of Winn comes just days after calling up Aaron Miles from the minor leagues. And you know what that means. Gary Matthews Jr. can’t be far behind. I kid, I kid. Winn probably doesn’t have much left in the tank, but he could benefit with a switch back to the National League style of play.
In order to make space for Winn on the 25-man roster, the Cardinals optioned outfielder Jon Jay to Triple-A Memphis. Kyle Lohse was transferred from the 15-day disabled list to the 60-day disabled list to create an opening on the 40-man.
- Dave Dombrowski on Miguel Cabrera: “It’s worse than what we ever would have anticipated” 11
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 3
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 34
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 4
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 13
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)