Jun 5, 2010, 1:13 PM EST
According to Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, the Cardinals have signed outfielder Randy Winn. He is expected to be in uniform for Saturday’s game against the Brewers.
Winn, who turns 36 next week, was designated for assignment by the Yankees last month after batting .213/.300/.295 with one home run and eight RBI over 61 at-bats. The addition of Winn comes just days after calling up Aaron Miles from the minor leagues. And you know what that means. Gary Matthews Jr. can’t be far behind. I kid, I kid. Winn probably doesn’t have much left in the tank, but he could benefit with a switch back to the National League style of play.
In order to make space for Winn on the 25-man roster, the Cardinals optioned outfielder Jon Jay to Triple-A Memphis. Kyle Lohse was transferred from the 15-day disabled list to the 60-day disabled list to create an opening on the 40-man.
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 5
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 54
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 13
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 44
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 137
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 18
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (137)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)