Jun 5, 2010, 5:53 PM EDT
UPDATE: According to Andy Martino of the New York Daily News, major league baseball plans to independently review Oliver Perez’s medical records, including the MRI that he underwent on Friday.
“This could be 100 percent legitimate,” the official said. “When there
are questions, we look into it.”
12:15 PM: Kevin Burkhardt of SNY.tv confirms that Oliver Perez is going on the disabled list with patella tendinitis in his surgically-repaired right knee. Jon Niese will be activated from the disabled list to start against the Marlins on Saturday afternoon.
9:13 AM: The Mets have been trying their darndest to get the struggling Oliver Perez off the active
roster, especially with Jon Niese’s return from the disabled list scheduled for Saturday. And it looks like they may have finally found their loophole. “Multiple teammates” told Adam Rubin of ESPNNewYork.com that they expect Oliver Perez to soon land on the disabled list with a knee injury.
This screams phantom injury, but one teammate told Rubin that Perez underwent an MRI on the knee after the Mets returned from San Diego this week, so perhaps there’s actually something physical going on. While Perez underwent season-ending surgery on his right knee last September, it’s not known which knee is affecting him right now.
There’s some history here, as Perez landed on the disabled list last May with right patella tendinitis in the midst of another poor start.
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 0
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 18
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 32
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (124)