Jun 5, 2010, 5:53 PM EDT
UPDATE: According to Andy Martino of the New York Daily News, major league baseball plans to independently review Oliver Perez’s medical records, including the MRI that he underwent on Friday.
“This could be 100 percent legitimate,” the official said. “When there
are questions, we look into it.”
12:15 PM: Kevin Burkhardt of SNY.tv confirms that Oliver Perez is going on the disabled list with patella tendinitis in his surgically-repaired right knee. Jon Niese will be activated from the disabled list to start against the Marlins on Saturday afternoon.
9:13 AM: The Mets have been trying their darndest to get the struggling Oliver Perez off the active
roster, especially with Jon Niese’s return from the disabled list scheduled for Saturday. And it looks like they may have finally found their loophole. “Multiple teammates” told Adam Rubin of ESPNNewYork.com that they expect Oliver Perez to soon land on the disabled list with a knee injury.
This screams phantom injury, but one teammate told Rubin that Perez underwent an MRI on the knee after the Mets returned from San Diego this week, so perhaps there’s actually something physical going on. While Perez underwent season-ending surgery on his right knee last September, it’s not known which knee is affecting him right now.
There’s some history here, as Perez landed on the disabled list last May with right patella tendinitis in the midst of another poor start.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (85)