Jun 5, 2010, 5:53 PM EST
UPDATE: According to Andy Martino of the New York Daily News, major league baseball plans to independently review Oliver Perez’s medical records, including the MRI that he underwent on Friday.
“This could be 100 percent legitimate,” the official said. “When there
are questions, we look into it.”
12:15 PM: Kevin Burkhardt of SNY.tv confirms that Oliver Perez is going on the disabled list with patella tendinitis in his surgically-repaired right knee. Jon Niese will be activated from the disabled list to start against the Marlins on Saturday afternoon.
9:13 AM: The Mets have been trying their darndest to get the struggling Oliver Perez off the active
roster, especially with Jon Niese’s return from the disabled list scheduled for Saturday. And it looks like they may have finally found their loophole. “Multiple teammates” told Adam Rubin of ESPNNewYork.com that they expect Oliver Perez to soon land on the disabled list with a knee injury.
This screams phantom injury, but one teammate told Rubin that Perez underwent an MRI on the knee after the Mets returned from San Diego this week, so perhaps there’s actually something physical going on. While Perez underwent season-ending surgery on his right knee last September, it’s not known which knee is affecting him right now.
There’s some history here, as Perez landed on the disabled list last May with right patella tendinitis in the midst of another poor start.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 65
- Curt Schilling goes after Obama, says Ronald Reagan would watch “The Interview” (227)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year (86)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)