Jun 5, 2010, 5:53 PM EDT
UPDATE: According to Andy Martino of the New York Daily News, major league baseball plans to independently review Oliver Perez’s medical records, including the MRI that he underwent on Friday.
“This could be 100 percent legitimate,” the official said. “When there
are questions, we look into it.”
12:15 PM: Kevin Burkhardt of SNY.tv confirms that Oliver Perez is going on the disabled list with patella tendinitis in his surgically-repaired right knee. Jon Niese will be activated from the disabled list to start against the Marlins on Saturday afternoon.
9:13 AM: The Mets have been trying their darndest to get the struggling Oliver Perez off the active
roster, especially with Jon Niese’s return from the disabled list scheduled for Saturday. And it looks like they may have finally found their loophole. “Multiple teammates” told Adam Rubin of ESPNNewYork.com that they expect Oliver Perez to soon land on the disabled list with a knee injury.
This screams phantom injury, but one teammate told Rubin that Perez underwent an MRI on the knee after the Mets returned from San Diego this week, so perhaps there’s actually something physical going on. While Perez underwent season-ending surgery on his right knee last September, it’s not known which knee is affecting him right now.
There’s some history here, as Perez landed on the disabled list last May with right patella tendinitis in the midst of another poor start.
- Giants rout Royals 11-4 in Game 4 to even up the World Series at 2-2 14
- Mike Trout, Giancarlo Stanton win the Hank Aaron Award 1
- World Series, Game 4: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Report: Rays owner Stuart Sternberg has discussed moving the team to Montreal 62
- Dave Dombrowski on Miguel Cabrera: “It’s worse than what we ever would have anticipated” 33
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 4
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 36
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 4
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (107)