Jun 5, 2010, 10:50 AM EDT
According to Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star, the Royals “are thought to be close” to a deal with University of Miami catcher Yasmani Grandal to be the fourth pick of the 2010 First-Year Player Draft on Monday.
Other outlets, including Frankie Pilere of AOL Fanhouse, are suggesting that the Royals may already have an agreement in place with the 21-year-old. Grandal batted .422/.545/.754 with 14 home runs for the Hurricanes this season. He is highly-regarded for his abilities behind the plate and is projected to arrive to the majors rather quickly.
There’s little doubt by now that the Nationals will take Bryce Harper with the No. 1 pick. The Pirates, who hold the second pick in the draft, are reportedly deciding between shortstop Manny Machado or right-hander Jameson Taillon. The Orioles, who pick third, will likely take whoever the Pirates don’t. Therefore, it’s fairly certain that Grandal will still be there when the Royals make their selection.
By the way, get ready. We’ll have plenty more coverage of the draft on Monday.
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 1
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 78
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 10
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 19
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 25
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 44
- Craig Biggio, John Smoltz, Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez inducted into the Hall of Fame 41
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (156)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)