Jun 6, 2010, 6:20 PM EDT
UPDATE: Rodriguez has confirmed that Stanton is indeed on his way to join the Marlins and will be officially promoted before Tuesday’s game. Mike Lamb has been designated for assignment to clear roster space.
3:41pm: Marlins outfield prospect Mike Stanton is not in the starting lineup for Double-A Jacksonville on Sunday, according to Juan C. Rodriguez with the South Florida Sun-Sentinel, and could be on his way to the majors by the end of the evening.
The Marlins have the day off on Monday, but Stanton could be asked to join the team Sunday night in New York and fly with the club to Philadelphia for a three-game set against the Phillies that starts on Tuesday.
He went 1-for-3 with a double and two walks on Saturday at Jacksonville and was 3-for-3 with a triple, a home run and two walks the night before. All in all, the 20-year-old phenom has hit .311/.441/.726 this season with 21 home runs and 52 RBI in 52 games for the Marlins’ Double-A affiliate. To say his bat is major league-ready would be an understatement.
If he is indeed being called up, it won’t be to sit on the bench. Stanton still has much developing to do and is likely to start at least three games a week in the majors through the end of this season. If he debuts on Tuesday, he will be the second youngest Marlin to do so. Miguel Cabrera, who played his first MLB game at 20 years and 63 days, still takes the cake.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 35
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 18
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)