Jun 7, 2010, 5:15 PM EDT
There’s a great story in the Detroit Free Press today going behind the scenes with umpire Jim Joyce. We get a little of his background and a lot of what happened in the couple of days after the infamous blown call.
I think the best part is his mother. She was totally oblivious to the bad call when Joyce showed up at her house after the game that night — she lives in Toledo and he stays with her when he does Tigers games — and told him it wasn’t a big deal. The next night he took her out to dinner and totally ignored Joyce’s request that she not tell anyone what he does for a living because of all of the hubub floating around.
I don’t know if Joyce’s mom just wasn’t aware of what was happening or simply didn’t care, but moms are pretty good at putting things in perspective, intentionally or otherwise.
- Ivan Nova diagnosed with a partially torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 26
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 91
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 24
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (127)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (99)