Jun 7, 2010, 5:15 PM EST
There’s a great story in the Detroit Free Press today going behind the scenes with umpire Jim Joyce. We get a little of his background and a lot of what happened in the couple of days after the infamous blown call.
I think the best part is his mother. She was totally oblivious to the bad call when Joyce showed up at her house after the game that night — she lives in Toledo and he stays with her when he does Tigers games — and told him it wasn’t a big deal. The next night he took her out to dinner and totally ignored Joyce’s request that she not tell anyone what he does for a living because of all of the hubub floating around.
I don’t know if Joyce’s mom just wasn’t aware of what was happening or simply didn’t care, but moms are pretty good at putting things in perspective, intentionally or otherwise.
- Cliff Pennington avoids arbitration, agrees to $3.275 million deal with D’Backs 3
- Dan Uggla played through undiagnosed concussion in 2014 29
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 44
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 62
- Report: Hiroki Kuroda is going back to Japan 26
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40