Jun 7, 2010, 5:15 PM EST
There’s a great story in the Detroit Free Press today going behind the scenes with umpire Jim Joyce. We get a little of his background and a lot of what happened in the couple of days after the infamous blown call.
I think the best part is his mother. She was totally oblivious to the bad call when Joyce showed up at her house after the game that night — she lives in Toledo and he stays with her when he does Tigers games — and told him it wasn’t a big deal. The next night he took her out to dinner and totally ignored Joyce’s request that she not tell anyone what he does for a living because of all of the hubub floating around.
I don’t know if Joyce’s mom just wasn’t aware of what was happening or simply didn’t care, but moms are pretty good at putting things in perspective, intentionally or otherwise.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 82
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 160
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (161)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)