Jun 7, 2010, 5:15 PM EDT
There’s a great story in the Detroit Free Press today going behind the scenes with umpire Jim Joyce. We get a little of his background and a lot of what happened in the couple of days after the infamous blown call.
I think the best part is his mother. She was totally oblivious to the bad call when Joyce showed up at her house after the game that night — she lives in Toledo and he stays with her when he does Tigers games — and told him it wasn’t a big deal. The next night he took her out to dinner and totally ignored Joyce’s request that she not tell anyone what he does for a living because of all of the hubub floating around.
I don’t know if Joyce’s mom just wasn’t aware of what was happening or simply didn’t care, but moms are pretty good at putting things in perspective, intentionally or otherwise.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 0
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 30
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 56
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 51
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 106
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 20
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (106)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)