Jun 7, 2010, 5:40 PM EST
A story on MLB.com this afternoon features former first overall picks like Ken Griffey Jr., David Price and Stephen Strasburg offering up advice about being chosen first and surviving the minor leagues to this year’s number one. Who will be Bryce Harper, of course, even if the story doesn’t name him.
Interesting I suppose, but among them those guys have just a tad more minor league experience than I have, so their insight along those lines is probably of limited utility. I’d be much more interested in hearing the advice of guys who didn’t have such an easy time of it. Seems to me that guys like Brian Bullington, Matt Anderson and Paul Wilson just might have something more useful to offer than “enjoy it while it lasts” and things of that nature.
- Roy Halladay is retiring 52
- Tony La Russa Bobby Cox, Joe Torre all unanimously elected to the Hall of Fame 42
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 60
- Rakuten Golden Eagles appear likely to allow Masahiro Tanaka’s departure to MLB 48
- 2013 Winter Meetings Preview 23
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (112)