Jun 7, 2010, 5:40 PM EDT
A story on MLB.com this afternoon features former first overall picks like Ken Griffey Jr., David Price and Stephen Strasburg offering up advice about being chosen first and surviving the minor leagues to this year’s number one. Who will be Bryce Harper, of course, even if the story doesn’t name him.
Interesting I suppose, but among them those guys have just a tad more minor league experience than I have, so their insight along those lines is probably of limited utility. I’d be much more interested in hearing the advice of guys who didn’t have such an easy time of it. Seems to me that guys like Brian Bullington, Matt Anderson and Paul Wilson just might have something more useful to offer than “enjoy it while it lasts” and things of that nature.
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 71
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 18
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 22
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 11
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)