Jun 7, 2010, 5:40 PM EDT
A story on MLB.com this afternoon features former first overall picks like Ken Griffey Jr., David Price and Stephen Strasburg offering up advice about being chosen first and surviving the minor leagues to this year’s number one. Who will be Bryce Harper, of course, even if the story doesn’t name him.
Interesting I suppose, but among them those guys have just a tad more minor league experience than I have, so their insight along those lines is probably of limited utility. I’d be much more interested in hearing the advice of guys who didn’t have such an easy time of it. Seems to me that guys like Brian Bullington, Matt Anderson and Paul Wilson just might have something more useful to offer than “enjoy it while it lasts” and things of that nature.
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 56
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 16
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 98
- Steven Matz stellar on the mound — and at the plate — in his major league debut for the Mets 19
- The 2015 Gillette Home Run Derby will have a new format 32
- Meet the Matz! The Mets call up Steven Matz to make his MLB debut 11
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 23
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Report: Pete Rose bet on baseball as a player, not just as a manager (148)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (108)
- First-ever female baseball player added to MLB’s international registration list (104)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (98)