Jun 7, 2010, 8:20 AM EST
Some of you wasted your weekend running errands, mowing lawns, going to graduation parties and spending time with your families. Some of you were smart and read HardballTalk. For those in the former camp, here’s some of what you missed:
- Carlos Zambrano returned to the rotation. And lost;
- The Royals may have already locked up their first round pick . . . who they won’t pick until today, so that, like, makes them psychic or something;
- Randy Winn signed with the Cardinals. Between that and the Phillies getting Willy Taveras, the market on sawdust-filler outfield help is getting tight;
- Carlos Beltran is playing honest-to-goodness baseball;
- Clackin’ that bat, gone with the wind, Garrett Wittels has done it again;
- Oliver Perez on the DL just when the Mets need a roster spot? How . . . convenient;
- Jason Heyward strikes out five times. So does Mark Teixeira. Took Teixeira extra innings to do it, though, so Heyward totally wins;
- D-Train debuts in desert; does dandy;
- Mike Cameron is bringing sexy back. Or something.
- Jeffrey Hammonds and four other guys were drafted before Jeter. Which is weird, because Hammonds is 49 years-old, isn’t he? Or does it just seem like he is?
- Mike Stanton is coming up. Between him, Strasburg, Heyward and Ike Davis it’s been quite the year for young NL East talent. Meanwhile, Domonic Brown has nose pressed against a window somewhere, sadly watching all the other kids have fun.
- And of course, here’s your week ahead.
Happy Monday, everyone.
- Matt Kemp remains “in play” for the Red Sox 39
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi 89
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran 121
- Mike Napoli agrees to two-year, $32 million deal with Red Sox 36
- Curtis Granderson leaves Yankees for Mets (and $60 million) 68
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (121)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (108)