Jun 7, 2010, 10:33 AM EDT
UPDATE: I’m told that the guy handed the ball back to the kid for
whom it was intended. Can anyone confirm? If so, I must revoke
the “jackass of the week” award and find a more appropriate recipient. Nominations can be made in the comments. Please, nothing related to the Galarraga thing. That’s been beaten to death by now.
10:02 A.M.: The video quality is terrible, but watch this guy at yesterday’s Mets game reach over to steal a ball that David Wright is obviously trying to toss to a kid. And no, it doesn’t make it any better that he gave the ball to his own kid.
I have my issues with the New York tabloids, but if they’re good at one thing they’re good at turning things like these into good old-fashioned public shamings. So get it to it Post and Daily News: I want hi-res pictures and butt-covering quotes from this guy in tomorrow morning’s editions. I know you can do it!
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 0
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 23
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 78
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 45
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry (88)