Jun 7, 2010, 10:33 AM EDT
UPDATE: I’m told that the guy handed the ball back to the kid for
whom it was intended. Can anyone confirm? If so, I must revoke
the “jackass of the week” award and find a more appropriate recipient. Nominations can be made in the comments. Please, nothing related to the Galarraga thing. That’s been beaten to death by now.
10:02 A.M.: The video quality is terrible, but watch this guy at yesterday’s Mets game reach over to steal a ball that David Wright is obviously trying to toss to a kid. And no, it doesn’t make it any better that he gave the ball to his own kid.
I have my issues with the New York tabloids, but if they’re good at one thing they’re good at turning things like these into good old-fashioned public shamings. So get it to it Post and Daily News: I want hi-res pictures and butt-covering quotes from this guy in tomorrow morning’s editions. I know you can do it!
- Tigers acquire closer Joakim Soria from the Rangers 9
- Phillies officials “have contemplated the possibility of paying off” and releasing Ryan Howard 29
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 17
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 158
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 30
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (158)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)