UPDATE: Would-be Jackass of the week may have done the right thing

Jun 7, 2010, 10:33 AM EST

UPDATE: I’m told that the guy handed the ball back to the kid for
whom it was intended. Can anyone confirm?  If so, I must revoke
the “jackass of the week” award and find a more appropriate recipient. Nominations can be made in the comments. Please, nothing related to the Galarraga thing. That’s been beaten to death by now.

10:02 A.M.: The video quality is terrible, but watch this guy at yesterday’s Mets game reach over to steal a ball that David Wright is obviously trying to toss to a kid. And no, it doesn’t make it any better that he gave the ball to his own kid.

I have my issues with the New York tabloids, but if they’re good at one thing they’re good at turning things like these into good old-fashioned public shamings.  So get it to it Post and Daily News: I want hi-res pictures and butt-covering quotes from this guy in tomorrow morning’s editions.  I know you can do it!

1. michael standish - Jun 7, 2010 at 10:19 AM

The guy admittedly fields better than, say, Dick Stuart, but it seems to me that his talents would be best employed at the Labor Relations Committee. He’d have to put up with a lot of intramural jealousy, but still.

2. Old Gator - Jun 7, 2010 at 10:26 AM

An official competition between Mutts and Feelies fans to see which ones are the bigger assholes might not be a bad idea, but the Mutts might be as overmatched in the stands as they would be on the field. This kid is lucky he wasn’t in Feelie or the guy would probably have thrown up his horsemeat and velveeta sansdwich on him after handing the ball to his own foul little spawn.

3. Joey B - Jun 7, 2010 at 10:26 AM

Plaster his face on the front page.
    Truthfully, if the guards tasered the guy, would you really object?

4. Jacob - Jun 7, 2010 at 10:30 AM

Even worse, the kid he stole it from was wearing a Wright jersey. Way to ruin a kid’s day.

5. Old Gator - Jun 7, 2010 at 10:48 AM

Craig, you mean this guy took the ball away from his own kid and gave it to a total stranger? Boy. Well, at least I hope he let his kid read his copy of Hustler on the Number 7 train home.

6. Alex - Jun 7, 2010 at 10:59 AM

I was watching the game live yesterday. Gary Cohen and Ron Darling replayed it and were pretty shocked and talked about how David Wright made eye contact with the kid, tossed it to him softly and then this guy reached over from the next box and swiped it from the kid. They then asked anybody watching the guy, if they knew him, to text him and tell him to return the ball.
    “man ghostly”

7. Moses Green - Jun 7, 2010 at 11:03 AM

The guy gave the (not his) kid the ball. Wright gave him and (not thief guy’s) kid’s brother baseballs of their own between innings. Everyone ended up with baseballs, everyone’s happy. The guy was interviewed, claimed he didn’t see the kid behind him at all. No one much will be bothering him, he’s frickin huge.

8. BC - Jun 7, 2010 at 11:25 AM

Most importantly however there was no beer spillage involved.

9. Greg - Jun 7, 2010 at 11:44 AM

Nominee: Ubaldo Jiminez for apparently finding the cheat code that lets one play MLB on Beginner Mode.

10. bob - Jun 7, 2010 at 11:50 AM

Atta Baby David Wright

11. Andy II - Jun 7, 2010 at 11:52 AM

Man, that video is HILARIOUS. Look at the way the kid in the Wright jersey looks at the guy that stole the baseball! I think when people talk about the “human element” of baseball, they’re talking about this (and not the necessity of look-at-me umpires and the impurity of instant replay)

12. Jason @ IIATMS - Jun 7, 2010 at 12:01 PM

Craig, I WORK WITH HIM.
    He didn’t know the other kid was there and gave the ball to HIS kid.

13. Bert - Jun 7, 2010 at 12:04 PM

That happens ALL THE TIME at ballgames. I’ve personally seen it at least 1/2 dozen times and I only get to go to maybe 2 or 3 games a year. What made this different is that the guy was busted by the Mets TV broadcast.

14. Utley's hair - Jun 7, 2010 at 12:14 PM

At least the kid would get a beer at a Phightins game.

15. Walt - Jun 7, 2010 at 12:15 PM

Long Island newspaper Newsday has an article on it..

16. Utley's hair - Jun 7, 2010 at 12:18 PM

Gator, it’s not cool to cast aspersions on other fan bases until you have one of your own.

And Victorino glares something chilling and yells at adults who catch the balls he tosses to kids out in the CF stands until they give the ball to the intended recipient.

17. Old Gator - Jun 7, 2010 at 12:58 PM

Well, they’ve finished digging the foundation so we should have a base any year now.
    Anyway, cool is out. Crass is in. Ackcherely, it always has been.

18. Fudd - Jun 7, 2010 at 1:54 PM

Tool bag should be aware of his surroundings. Even if he did the right thing in the end. He was to caught up in the moment to steal something that was obviously meant for someone else. Then to give his one kid a high-five like he snagged a fowl ball.

19. Jonny5 - Jun 7, 2010 at 1:58 PM

I nominate myself as Jackass of the week. I do at least 3 things during the course of a week that would be considered Jackass like, or Jackassish you might say. Why not? I hit myself in the leg with a sledge hammer breaking up concrete in my back yard over the weekend, It hurt like a mother effer. And my neighbors 4 houses down heard all about it as I cursed like a drunken Sailor.

20. Jess - Jun 7, 2010 at 2:47 PM

My boyfriend actually works with this DOUCHE BAG and he did give it back but thought it was hilarious that the news was and is still making a big deal out of it… He thinks hes innocent in the entire thing and he did nothing wrong cuz the intended kid was apparently not in his seat, but who cares David was clearly giving it to HIM not that TALL DOUCHE……… but yes it did give it back to the kid

21. Gerry - Jun 7, 2010 at 3:15 PM

Based on some stories in NY papers today it seems your update was on the money and this guy did the right thing by giving the ball to the kid. Here are a couple of links:

22. Fast Ball - Jun 7, 2010 at 8:03 PM

I’m sorry but I can’t believe he can see a baseball but couldn’t see a kid 50 times bigger wearing a mets uniform and was wearing a glove standing quite visibly next to him? If it was an actual ball being hit into the stands I might give him the benefit of the doubt. Of course he’s gonna deny seeing that kid next to him after being caught in front of the crowd and TV cameras…and of course he gave the ball back after being roasted by the crowd…do any of you honestly believe he would have been such a boy scout if no one was looking his way? Get a clue people, this guy is a certified bone head.

23. Jon - Jun 8, 2010 at 9:20 AM

Given how fat the guy is, he obviously has no self control. Therefore, he couldn’t stop himself from cutting off a little boy to get to something he wanted. And the only reason this loser ended up giving the kid the ball in the end was that the crowd harrassed endlessly until he did.

24. Christopher - Jun 8, 2010 at 1:35 PM

Let me break it down for all a y’all.
    “My kid is more important to me than your kid. So if I snatch that ball, it’s for my kid. Not your kid. Who I don’t care about. And don’t need to, since that’s your job.
    Incessant crying made me give the ball to your kid. Not because it was the right thing to do, but because your incessant crying hurts my head. Plus, I can now explain to my kid the value of being big about the situation. Which you can’t. Because you cried.
    Of course, it worked out for everyone, because David Wright is a class player. And I’m a decent guy. And boo-birds are only brave in numbers, because not one of you pusses said a word to me to my face.
    The End.”

25. Mar - Jun 8, 2010 at 5:09 PM

The non douche bag is a really great guy, a loyal friend, a phenomenal dad, loving husband, and just a plain nice guy. Anyone that calls him a friend is a truly lucky person.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5159)