Jun 7, 2010, 3:46 PM EDT
Kosuke Fukudome is hitting .288 with a .384 on-base percentage and .481 slugging percentage to rank second on the Cubs with a hefty .865 OPS, but the 33-year-old outfielder is in danger of losing starts because for the third time in three seasons he’s slumping after a great first month.
As a 31-year-old rookie in 2008 he hit .327 with a .915 OPS in April, but fell to .241 with a .695 OPS from May 1 on. Last season he hit .338 with a 1.052 OPS in April, but just .245 with a .753 OPS once the calendar flipped to May. And this year Fukudome batted .344 with a 1.084 OPS in April, but has hit just .250 with a .709 OPS in 30 games since.
Add it all up and in three seasons Fukudome has hit .335 with a 1.004 OPS in April compared to .244 with a .723 OPS in May, June, July, August, and September. Toss in rookie Tyler Colvin waiting in the wings with a .294 batting average and .966 OPS in 97 plate appearances in a part-time role and it’s easy to see why Lou Piniella is pondering a change, but Fukudome making $13 million this season and being owed another $13.5 million next year complicates things. And so far at least he’s been one of the Cubs’ best hitters.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 0
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 4
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 20
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 38
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 48
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 28
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)