Jun 7, 2010, 3:46 PM EDT
Kosuke Fukudome is hitting .288 with a .384 on-base percentage and .481 slugging percentage to rank second on the Cubs with a hefty .865 OPS, but the 33-year-old outfielder is in danger of losing starts because for the third time in three seasons he’s slumping after a great first month.
As a 31-year-old rookie in 2008 he hit .327 with a .915 OPS in April, but fell to .241 with a .695 OPS from May 1 on. Last season he hit .338 with a 1.052 OPS in April, but just .245 with a .753 OPS once the calendar flipped to May. And this year Fukudome batted .344 with a 1.084 OPS in April, but has hit just .250 with a .709 OPS in 30 games since.
Add it all up and in three seasons Fukudome has hit .335 with a 1.004 OPS in April compared to .244 with a .723 OPS in May, June, July, August, and September. Toss in rookie Tyler Colvin waiting in the wings with a .294 batting average and .966 OPS in 97 plate appearances in a part-time role and it’s easy to see why Lou Piniella is pondering a change, but Fukudome making $13 million this season and being owed another $13.5 million next year complicates things. And so far at least he’s been one of the Cubs’ best hitters.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 42
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 35
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 87
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 17
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 21
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 25
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 44
- Craig Biggio, John Smoltz, Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez inducted into the Hall of Fame 41
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (156)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)