Jun 7, 2010, 6:00 PM EDT
Unless Jon Lester or Clay Buchholz draws the nod in the first inning, all signs point to the Red Sox being without a starter on the AL All-Star squad for the first time since 1998.
There is one qualification there. Manny Ramirez was voted into the lineup in 2003, but he skipped the game because of a hamstring injury, leaving Boston without a starter.
The Red Sox, though, have had someone voted in to represent the AL each of the last nine years. The last time they didn’t was 2000, but they had a starter then because Ramirez, in his final season in Cleveland, sat out the game, making room for Carl Everett.
The string is set to be broken this year. Dustin Pedroia is the highest Sock in the balloting and he’s more than 500,000 votes behind Robinson Cano at second base (1,293,724 to 725,081). Victor Martinez is third at catcher, and Kevin Youkilis, Adrian Beltre and David Ortiz are all fourth at their positions. The Red Sox don’t have a single outfielder in the top 15.
The Red Sox still figure to be well represented in Anaheim. The two aforementioned starting pitchers are strong candidates for spots, and Jonathan Papelbon has a chance to go in relief. Youkilis has the AL’s third-best OPS, and Pedroia, even in a down year, is as good a choice as any to back up Cano (Ben Zobrist also has a good argument, but he’s playing quite a bit more outfield than second base). Ortiz is probably a long shot. While he’s been the AL’s second-best DH, there are four first basemen having better seasons in Justin Morneau, Miguel Cabrera, Youkilis and Paul Konerko.
No starters, though. It’s the end of an era.
Red Sox All-Star Game starters
1999 – Nomar Garciaparra
2000 – Carl Everett
2001 – Manny Ramirez
2002 – Manny Ramirez, Shea Hillenbrand, Derek Lowe
2003 – Manny Ramirez*
2004 – Manny Ramirez
2005 – Manny Ramirez, David Ortiz, Jason Varitek, Johnny Damon
2006 – Manny Ramirez*, David Ortiz, Mark Loretta
2007 – David Ortiz
2008 – Manny Ramirez, Kevin Youkilis, Dustin Pedroia
2009 – Jason Bay
- Angels announce ALDS rotation: Jered Weaver in Game 1, Matt Shoemaker for Game 2 1
- Wild Card Game: Giants vs. Pirates lineups 3
- The beauty of belief 33
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 40
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 74
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)