Jun 7, 2010, 9:45 AM EDT
From a baseball standpoint – and from a logical standpoint – there is
no reason Raul Ibanez deserves to play everyday on a contending team. He
has been awful at the plate and terrible in the field. Yet he continues
to bat sixth everyday while the Phillies top prospect, who also happens
to be a corner outfielder, is putting on a clinic in the
pitcher-friendly Eastern League.
That prospect is Domonic Brown, the fellow who I said had his nose pressed up against the glass a couple of posts ago. He’s raking in AA: 313/.382/.587 with 10 homers and 33 RBI. Meanwhile Ibanez cruises on the strength of his April and May of 2009. As Seidman demonstrates, he’s done nothing since. Certainly nothing to justify his job.
Which was easy to hide when Chase Utley and Jayson Werth were hitting and Jimmy Rollins was healthy and productive at shortstop. With those things not happening, Ibanez has been exposed as the weak link on the defending NL champs.
As of tomorrow evening, the Braves, Mets, Marlins and Nationals will all have called up and played their phenoms. Perhaps its time for the Phillies to do the same.
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 4
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 25
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 219
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 95
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (235)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (86)