The White Sox "are open for business"

Jun 7, 2010, 12:13 PM EDT

White Sox logo.gifBuster Olney passes along word that the White Sox have told “multiple executives” that they are “open for business” and are ready to deal anyone and everyone.

That includes Paul Konerko, Olney says, and certainly includes the players that have already been mentioned as possible trade chits in the past few weeks, such as A.J. Pierzynski, Mark Buehrle, Bobby Jenks, J.J. Putz and others.

The Sox had better hurry on Pierzynski and Buehrle, though: the former achieved ten-and-five status in a week, and the latter does so on July 6th, meaning either of them can block trades after that. Konerko has been a ten and five guy forever, but (a) he’s a free-agent-to-be; and (b) you have to wonder if he wouldn’t want to be part of a winner since he’s likely moving on anyway.

1. Dan W - Jun 7, 2010 at 12:20 PM

Buerhrle would make a lot of sense for the mets…

2. Alex - Jun 7, 2010 at 12:41 PM

Be wary, ChiSox fans, you might have another Nick-Swisher-for-Wilson-Betemit on your hands

3. TMW - Jun 7, 2010 at 12:54 PM

Why would anyone block a trade to get away from this disaster?

4. Isaiah - Jun 7, 2010 at 12:56 PM

@Alex – Yeah, you’re right. Ugh…this season has just been a train wreck so far. No fire which is disappointing. The hitting has really been bad this year, as well as leaving guys on base.

5. Doug - Jun 7, 2010 at 1:13 PM

Adding Teahen, Vizquel and Pierre to a team that was already offensively challenged was a bit of a head scratcher this offseason.
    Those guys offer very little upside – and even less offense. I like Williams aggressive GM style but I just didn’t get why the Sox needed those guys.
    Couple that with guys like Ramirez, Pierzyski, Beckham and Quentin just not producing and you have a perfect storm.
    I think he should hold on to his starting pitching and make moves to establish a more dependable offensive core. If that team could actually score some runs they would be a lot better off right now.

6. AJ Gallo - Jun 7, 2010 at 1:36 PM

Buehrle and his $14 million salary would only be attractive to the likes of the Mets, Dodgers, Angels, etc. As a Yankee fan, I’d only be interested in Peavy. Although if I’m Cashman I would insist on the White Sox taking on some of his $15 million salary. However, I don’t think Williams would do that. And besides that, the ensuing screaming and teeth knashing that would come about as a result of the Yanks’ increase in their budget would be deafening. I really don’t think the White Sox would take Vazquez, even though he’s pitching better now, as part of a package. My thought was that at least Vazquez’ $11.5 million salary would somewhat offset Peavy’s. So, I guess the bottom line is, as a Yankee fan, forget Peavy.

7. Alex - Jun 7, 2010 at 2:27 PM

I don’t see the Yankees having any need for a starter (swapping Vazquez or no), but I could see them making an offer for Putz.

8. Dan W - Jun 7, 2010 at 2:34 PM

Completely agree Alex – Vasquez would have to go (only one of 4 that could) in order to bring in Buehrle and right now Vasquez is pitching better anyways…
    Peavy does not make much sense for the Yankees, but a reliever like Putz may, but lately the Yankees have shown a penchant for promoting minor league arms to the pen (with pretty good success).

9. terry4505 - Jun 7, 2010 at 2:41 PM

Would Omar trade for Putz again, this time hoping he isn’t injured, you know…like the last time he traded for him.
    Kidding aside, The Mets need an arm or two. One for the rotation, and one for 7th-8th setup…Omar should be calling Kenny now.
    With the N.L East as close as it is, no team is out of contention. If…I know, big if, Carlos Beltran can be 80% of himself, with another starter (or two) this team can contend for the division, at worst the wild card.

10. AJ Gallo - Jun 7, 2010 at 6:52 PM