Jun 7, 2010, 11:42 AM EDT
Ubaldo Jimenez’s scoreless streak came to an end yesterday afternoon at 33 innings, as he cruised through seven shutout innings against the Diamondbacks before serving up a two-run homer to Conor Jackson for his first runs allowed since May 15.
Orel Hershiser’s record streak of 59 innings from 1988 is safe again (for now), but 11-1 with a 0.93 ERA is still pretty damn amazing. In fact, the last pitcher with a lower ERA in the first 12 starts of a season is Dutch Leonard way back in 1914. Seriously. Leonard went 19-5 with a 0.96 ERA in 224.2 innings for the Red Sox that year, completing 17 of his 25 starts and also appearing 11 times out of the bullpen.
The modern record for ERA is of course Bob Gibson with a 1.12 mark in 1968. Gibson threw 304.2 innings that year, which is a workload Jimenez will obviously never approach, but if Jimenez ends up with, say, 230 innings he’d have to post a 1.20 ERA from now until the end of the season. In other words, doing what Gibson did–even in 230 innings instead of 300 innings–is extraordinarily difficult regardless of how amazing someone is through 12 starts.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 45
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 51
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 76
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 56
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 50
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 95
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (104)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)