Jun 7, 2010, 11:42 AM EDT
Ubaldo Jimenez’s scoreless streak came to an end yesterday afternoon at 33 innings, as he cruised through seven shutout innings against the Diamondbacks before serving up a two-run homer to Conor Jackson for his first runs allowed since May 15.
Orel Hershiser’s record streak of 59 innings from 1988 is safe again (for now), but 11-1 with a 0.93 ERA is still pretty damn amazing. In fact, the last pitcher with a lower ERA in the first 12 starts of a season is Dutch Leonard way back in 1914. Seriously. Leonard went 19-5 with a 0.96 ERA in 224.2 innings for the Red Sox that year, completing 17 of his 25 starts and also appearing 11 times out of the bullpen.
The modern record for ERA is of course Bob Gibson with a 1.12 mark in 1968. Gibson threw 304.2 innings that year, which is a workload Jimenez will obviously never approach, but if Jimenez ends up with, say, 230 innings he’d have to post a 1.20 ERA from now until the end of the season. In other words, doing what Gibson did–even in 230 innings instead of 300 innings–is extraordinarily difficult regardless of how amazing someone is through 12 starts.
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 125
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 18
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 46
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 48
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 353
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (353)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (194)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (162)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)