Jun 8, 2010, 6:15 PM EDT
New Orioles manager Juan Samuel delivered some more bad news Tuesday when he made it clear that neither Brian Roberts nor Mike Gonzalez were ready to help the team with the game’s worst record.
Roberts appeared on pace for a mid-June return before contracting pneumonia last month. That setback, though, may prove mild to the one he suffered last week. Roberts’ back is again bothering him, though the Orioles are hoping it’s not related to the herniated disc that has kept him on the shelf since April 10.
Roberts was reexamined Tuesday and is due for more tests this week before the Orioles update his condition. Samuel indicated that there’s no longer any timetable for his return. Speculation that he may need season-ending surgery will only increase until the Orioles release something definitive.
Gonzalez, who was also aiming for a mid-June return from a left shoulder strain, threw in the mid-80s during a simulated inning Tuesday. Instead of rebuilding arm strength, he’s actually lost velocity since he resumed throwing.
The lone good news is that Alfredo Simon, who was filling in for Gonzalez in the closer’s role before suffering a strained hamstring last month, is making steady progress and might return next week.
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 24
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 41
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 15
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 24
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 35
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)