Jun 8, 2010, 6:15 PM EST
New Orioles manager Juan Samuel delivered some more bad news Tuesday when he made it clear that neither Brian Roberts nor Mike Gonzalez were ready to help the team with the game’s worst record.
Roberts appeared on pace for a mid-June return before contracting pneumonia last month. That setback, though, may prove mild to the one he suffered last week. Roberts’ back is again bothering him, though the Orioles are hoping it’s not related to the herniated disc that has kept him on the shelf since April 10.
Roberts was reexamined Tuesday and is due for more tests this week before the Orioles update his condition. Samuel indicated that there’s no longer any timetable for his return. Speculation that he may need season-ending surgery will only increase until the Orioles release something definitive.
Gonzalez, who was also aiming for a mid-June return from a left shoulder strain, threw in the mid-80s during a simulated inning Tuesday. Instead of rebuilding arm strength, he’s actually lost velocity since he resumed throwing.
The lone good news is that Alfredo Simon, who was filling in for Gonzalez in the closer’s role before suffering a strained hamstring last month, is making steady progress and might return next week.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 162
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (162)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)