Jun 8, 2010, 12:54 PM EDT
Chone Figgins hit second in the Mariners’ batting order for the first 55 games of the season, but manager Don Wakamatsu moved him to the ninth spot yesterday and Figgins wasn’t very happy about it:
I mean, I’ve been getting on base. I’ve been swinging the bat pretty good. Obviously, it had something to do with me. I think I’ve earned enough respect as a player, because I’m still battling and I’m going good, that I should stay where I was at. I don’t have anything to say.
The fact is, I come to play. And anybody that’s ever known me or watched me play this game knows no matter whether you hit me first, second or tenth, I’m going to play. If I come off the bench, I’m going to come to play 110 percent. And there is not anybody in this game who can take that away from me.
Figgins had three hits last night, so surely Wakamatsu thinks the move motivated him, but in reality Figgins has been hitting well for a while now. Prior to yesterday Figgins was 20-for-68 (.293) with 10 walks and four steals in his last 19 games, producing a .294/.380/.353 line that basically matches his .288/.361/.383 career mark.
So after sticking with a legitimately struggling Figgins in the second spot for two months, Wakamatsu actually decided to move him to the bottom of the order exactly when he started producing like normal again.
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 14
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 33
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 19
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- Steven Matz stellar on the mound — and at the plate — in his major league debut for the Mets 19
- The 2015 Gillette Home Run Derby will have a new format 35
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (108)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)