Jun 8, 2010, 12:54 PM EDT
Chone Figgins hit second in the Mariners’ batting order for the first 55 games of the season, but manager Don Wakamatsu moved him to the ninth spot yesterday and Figgins wasn’t very happy about it:
I mean, I’ve been getting on base. I’ve been swinging the bat pretty good. Obviously, it had something to do with me. I think I’ve earned enough respect as a player, because I’m still battling and I’m going good, that I should stay where I was at. I don’t have anything to say.
The fact is, I come to play. And anybody that’s ever known me or watched me play this game knows no matter whether you hit me first, second or tenth, I’m going to play. If I come off the bench, I’m going to come to play 110 percent. And there is not anybody in this game who can take that away from me.
Figgins had three hits last night, so surely Wakamatsu thinks the move motivated him, but in reality Figgins has been hitting well for a while now. Prior to yesterday Figgins was 20-for-68 (.293) with 10 walks and four steals in his last 19 games, producing a .294/.380/.353 line that basically matches his .288/.361/.383 career mark.
So after sticking with a legitimately struggling Figgins in the second spot for two months, Wakamatsu actually decided to move him to the bottom of the order exactly when he started producing like normal again.
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 4
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 21
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 18
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 9
- Astros shut down George Springer for the season 0
- The Blue Jays will make a qualifying offer to Melky Cabrera 24
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 42
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)