Jun 8, 2010, 11:15 AM EDT
The Mets drafted UNC pitcher named Matt Harvey in the first round last night. The thing he’s most notable for among people who don’t follow the draft or the college game all that closely (i.e. the vast majority of us) is that on April 23rd he threw 157 pitches.
Here’s the deep thought: is it more worrisome that he threw 157 pitches in a game, or is it more impressive that he threw the 157th pitch at 96 miles per hour?
People who know more than I do about such things like the pick and compare him favorably to Mike Pelfrey, which is a good thing these days. I’m mostly just wondering if the Mets have found themselves a workhorse.
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 14
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 6
- Pirates acquire Ike Davis in a trade with the Mets 39
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 49
- VIDEO: The Yankees turned a triple play against the Rays 24
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)