Jun 8, 2010, 11:15 AM EDT
The Mets drafted UNC pitcher named Matt Harvey in the first round last night. The thing he’s most notable for among people who don’t follow the draft or the college game all that closely (i.e. the vast majority of us) is that on April 23rd he threw 157 pitches.
Here’s the deep thought: is it more worrisome that he threw 157 pitches in a game, or is it more impressive that he threw the 157th pitch at 96 miles per hour?
People who know more than I do about such things like the pick and compare him favorably to Mike Pelfrey, which is a good thing these days. I’m mostly just wondering if the Mets have found themselves a workhorse.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 14
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 62
- The Lester trade is a win-win 105
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 160
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 92
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (160)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (121)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)