Jun 8, 2010, 11:15 AM EST
The Mets drafted UNC pitcher named Matt Harvey in the first round last night. The thing he’s most notable for among people who don’t follow the draft or the college game all that closely (i.e. the vast majority of us) is that on April 23rd he threw 157 pitches.
Here’s the deep thought: is it more worrisome that he threw 157 pitches in a game, or is it more impressive that he threw the 157th pitch at 96 miles per hour?
People who know more than I do about such things like the pick and compare him favorably to Mike Pelfrey, which is a good thing these days. I’m mostly just wondering if the Mets have found themselves a workhorse.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 306
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (122)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)