Jun 8, 2010, 11:15 AM EDT
The Mets drafted UNC pitcher named Matt Harvey in the first round last night. The thing he’s most notable for among people who don’t follow the draft or the college game all that closely (i.e. the vast majority of us) is that on April 23rd he threw 157 pitches.
Here’s the deep thought: is it more worrisome that he threw 157 pitches in a game, or is it more impressive that he threw the 157th pitch at 96 miles per hour?
People who know more than I do about such things like the pick and compare him favorably to Mike Pelfrey, which is a good thing these days. I’m mostly just wondering if the Mets have found themselves a workhorse.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 9
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 27
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 100
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (106)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)