Draft's early rounds filled with some great names

Jun 8, 2010, 2:47 PM EDT

Often in sports there’s talk of “big-name players,” but this post isn’t quite about that (or really about much of anything, as you’ll soon see).
Maybe it’s just me getting old and thinking ahead to all the botched pronunciations in my future, but I’ve been amazed by the number of “interesting” names being drafted so far, beginning with the trio of Bryce Harper, Jameson Taillon, and Manny Machado in the top three spots.
Sure, there has been the occasional Gary Brown and Kyle Parker and Matt Harvey mixed in, but a ton of non-traditional, awesome-sounding, and/or crazy looking names have caught me eye:
- Christian Colon
- Barrett Loux
- Delino DeShields
- Karsten Whitson
- Deck McGuire
- Yasmani Grandal
- Dylan Covey
- Hayden Simpson
- Mike Foltynewicz
- Kolbrin Vitek
- Kellin Deglan
- Chevez Clarke
- Cito Culver
And that’s just in the first round! Some others, from the second and third rounds:
- Cartier Goodrum
- Griffin Murphy
- Drew Smyly
- Andrelton Simmons
- Angelo Gumbs
- Addison Reed
- Cameron Rupp
I suppose this is what happens when the children of Generation X parents start becoming draft-eligible. And yes, I’m just jealous that my Baby Boomer parents named me something ordinary like “Aaron” instead of something amazing like “Cartier” or “Stetson.”
UPDATE: In the sixth round, the Phillies drafted an outfielder named Gauntlett Eldemire. Game over.

1. Joey B - Jun 8, 2010 at 3:18 PM

Funny, I was thinking the same thing. Then I read someone on a RS board saying we had drafted V-Tek, and had no idea of what he was talking about. How many teams can have successive generations of V-Tek’s?

2. BCTF - Jun 8, 2010 at 3:55 PM

No matter where that Mcguire kid is in the batting order people think he is batting next.

3. MVD - Jun 8, 2010 at 3:56 PM

Youre right about Gen X but I dont know what youre jealous about. Girls give kids stupid names these days and obviously have been for a while. You should be happy your mom wasnt just being ‘different.’

4. Webs - Jun 8, 2010 at 4:25 PM

Delino DeShields we’ve seen before. Heck, I once thought the Expos were making a run at being history’s all-oddball-name team.
    Delino DeShields
    Endy Chavez
    Woody Fryman
    Moises Alou
    Talmadge Nunnari
    Skeeter Barnes

5. gmunu - Jun 8, 2010 at 5:19 PM

The top all time name has to be, ex Brave and I believe Expo, Wonderful Terrific Monds III! It is difficult enough to believe that somebody would name their child Wonderful Terrific but when you realize that this was the 3rd generation with that name it takes the cake.

6. Charles Gates - Jun 8, 2010 at 6:36 PM

Craig, if you were named ‘Aaron,’ (and for arguments sake, your middle name were ‘Paul’), then you’d be really cool at the end of high school when every one was taking AP Calculus. You, AP Calcaterra, would totally be BMOC. That would be until junior year of college when you’d revert back to being a nerd. You’d harvest no tail. ‘Oh, AP Calcaterra is weeeeeak yo. He’s like so 4 years ago. Weez be all up in Diff EQ’s now, ya heard!’

7. Jason - Jun 8, 2010 at 8:12 PM

Bert Blyleven might as well retire right now. No way he’s going to get these right.

8. nfieldr - Jun 8, 2010 at 10:20 PM

From the Braves minor leagues of the 90s…. Wonderful Monds and Maurice Christmas
    Captcha = tion cackling

9. pwt3d - Jun 9, 2010 at 8:50 AM

I know Gauntlett personally, it’s a family name, his parents are from Jamaica.

10. Jabberwock - Jun 9, 2010 at 11:13 AM

How about Detroit’s Al Kaline? Nobody ever seems to have noticed that’s alkaline.

11. Andy - Jun 9, 2010 at 12:23 PM

It’s not just in the US as well – those Frenchies just called up a guy called Wenceslas Lauret to their rugby team. Imagine naming your son after a Christmas Carol – Silent Night Gleeman?

12. sam - Jun 11, 2010 at 8:51 AM

Didn’t Kaline also sign his name Al K—?

Three legends off to Cooperstown