Jun 8, 2010, 10:05 AM EDT
Washington is the center of the baseball universe today. Last night it was Bryce Harper’s time in the spotlight. Today is much bigger: Stephen Strasburg’s debut.
It’s easy to go overboard with this, of course. He’s a phenom. A freak. A savior. You name it. But he’s also a young pitcher who, however much he dazzled ’em in the minors, will take his bumps and bruises for a while in the big leagues. Nothing brings that concept home more than a review of the last twenty or so debuts from stud pitchers, a slide show of which you can see here.
The best part of the slide show: just how damn young some of those guys look.
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 33
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 21
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 15
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 50
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)