Jun 8, 2010, 6:28 PM EST
The Nationals announced Tuesday that 21-year-old left-hander Jack McGeary would undergo Tommy John surgery and miss the rest of 2010.
McGeary was a sixth-round pick in 2007, but he was viewed as a first-round talent and he received a $1.85 million bonus as part of an unusual contract that allowed him to attend Stanford and pitch only half a season in the first three years of his career. McGeary opted to put in full seasons the last two years anyway, but he had been a disappointment. He went 2-12 with a 5.54 ERA in a 2009 campaign in which he received a midseason demotion from low Single-A Hagerstown to short-season Single-A Vermont.
This year, McGeary was 4-1 with a 4.62 ERA back at Hagerstown. He had improved peripherals, including a 32/15 K/BB ratio in 39 innings. Also, left-handed hitters were just 1-for-24 against him.
The Nationals still have hopes of McGeary developing into a No. 3 starter someday, but with the surgery set to keep him out through the middle of next year, he’s an awfully long way from contributing.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 68
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 158
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (159)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (135)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)