Jun 8, 2010, 3:46 PM EDT
Southern Arkansas pitcher Hayden Simpson, on the Cubs taking him last night with the 16th overall pick:
It came as a complete shock. We were hearing second to fifth round. I don’t see any problem with me signing.
No, when you’re a Division II player expecting to go in, say, the fourth round and the Cubs pick you in the middle of the first round, I imagine negotiating an agreeable signing bonus won’t be an issue.
Simpson has been by far the most-criticized pick of the draft. Baseball America had him ranked as the No. 191 prospect available and according to editor-in-chief John Manuel “many scouts had Simpson in as a middle reliever.” ESPN.com’s Keith Law noted that representatives from other teams were contacting him after the Simpson pick, saying stuff like “are you kidding?” and “not in our top 200.”
Maybe the Cubs just liked him for the cool-sounding name?
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 7
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 22
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 13
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 12
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 38
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 12
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 43
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 186
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (187)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)