Jun 8, 2010, 3:46 PM EST
Southern Arkansas pitcher Hayden Simpson, on the Cubs taking him last night with the 16th overall pick:
It came as a complete shock. We were hearing second to fifth round. I don’t see any problem with me signing.
No, when you’re a Division II player expecting to go in, say, the fourth round and the Cubs pick you in the middle of the first round, I imagine negotiating an agreeable signing bonus won’t be an issue.
Simpson has been by far the most-criticized pick of the draft. Baseball America had him ranked as the No. 191 prospect available and according to editor-in-chief John Manuel “many scouts had Simpson in as a middle reliever.” ESPN.com’s Keith Law noted that representatives from other teams were contacting him after the Simpson pick, saying stuff like “are you kidding?” and “not in our top 200.”
Maybe the Cubs just liked him for the cool-sounding name?
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 25
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 80
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 14
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 143
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 19
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (143)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)