Jun 8, 2010, 3:46 PM EDT
Southern Arkansas pitcher Hayden Simpson, on the Cubs taking him last night with the 16th overall pick:
It came as a complete shock. We were hearing second to fifth round. I don’t see any problem with me signing.
No, when you’re a Division II player expecting to go in, say, the fourth round and the Cubs pick you in the middle of the first round, I imagine negotiating an agreeable signing bonus won’t be an issue.
Simpson has been by far the most-criticized pick of the draft. Baseball America had him ranked as the No. 191 prospect available and according to editor-in-chief John Manuel “many scouts had Simpson in as a middle reliever.” ESPN.com’s Keith Law noted that representatives from other teams were contacting him after the Simpson pick, saying stuff like “are you kidding?” and “not in our top 200.”
Maybe the Cubs just liked him for the cool-sounding name?
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 50
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 17
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)