Jun 8, 2010, 11:42 AM EDT
Last year’s No. 10 overall pick Drew Storen signed with the Nationals for $1.6 million before the draft was even over (and is already in the majors), and a pair of first rounders selected last night have followed in his footsteps by already agreed to terms.
No. 20 overall pick Kolbrin Vitek said last night that he already has a “verbal agreement” with the Red Sox, with Alex Speier of WEEI.com reporting that the Ball State infielder will receive the MLB-recommended “slot” amount of around $1.4 million. Boston was awarded the 20th pick as compensation for losing Billy Wagner as a free agent, which shows the brilliance of the Red Sox picking him up from the Mets down the stretch last season.
No. 22 overall pick Kellin Deglan has agreed to a $1 million signing bonus from the Rangers, who’re also said to be nearing a deal with No. 15 pick Jake Skole. Texas choose Skole at No. 15 in large part because he was considered an easy sign, as the pick is compensation for their not signing last year’s first rounder and isn’t eligible for the same compensation this time around.
Expect similarly quick signings for many of the top picks over the next few days, or at least many of the top picks who aren’t represented by Scott Boras.
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 0
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 8
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 31
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 48
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 71
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 75
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (76)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)