Jun 8, 2010, 11:42 AM EDT
Last year’s No. 10 overall pick Drew Storen signed with the Nationals for $1.6 million before the draft was even over (and is already in the majors), and a pair of first rounders selected last night have followed in his footsteps by already agreed to terms.
No. 20 overall pick Kolbrin Vitek said last night that he already has a “verbal agreement” with the Red Sox, with Alex Speier of WEEI.com reporting that the Ball State infielder will receive the MLB-recommended “slot” amount of around $1.4 million. Boston was awarded the 20th pick as compensation for losing Billy Wagner as a free agent, which shows the brilliance of the Red Sox picking him up from the Mets down the stretch last season.
No. 22 overall pick Kellin Deglan has agreed to a $1 million signing bonus from the Rangers, who’re also said to be nearing a deal with No. 15 pick Jake Skole. Texas choose Skole at No. 15 in large part because he was considered an easy sign, as the pick is compensation for their not signing last year’s first rounder and isn’t eligible for the same compensation this time around.
Expect similarly quick signings for many of the top picks over the next few days, or at least many of the top picks who aren’t represented by Scott Boras.
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 26
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 16
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 13
- A’s acquire veteran slugger Adam Dunn from the White Sox 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 18
- Orioles acquire Kelly Johnson from the Red Sox 15
- Orioles acquire Alejandro De Aza from the White Sox 6
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 31
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)