Jun 8, 2010, 11:42 AM EDT
Last year’s No. 10 overall pick Drew Storen signed with the Nationals for $1.6 million before the draft was even over (and is already in the majors), and a pair of first rounders selected last night have followed in his footsteps by already agreed to terms.
No. 20 overall pick Kolbrin Vitek said last night that he already has a “verbal agreement” with the Red Sox, with Alex Speier of WEEI.com reporting that the Ball State infielder will receive the MLB-recommended “slot” amount of around $1.4 million. Boston was awarded the 20th pick as compensation for losing Billy Wagner as a free agent, which shows the brilliance of the Red Sox picking him up from the Mets down the stretch last season.
No. 22 overall pick Kellin Deglan has agreed to a $1 million signing bonus from the Rangers, who’re also said to be nearing a deal with No. 15 pick Jake Skole. Texas choose Skole at No. 15 in large part because he was considered an easy sign, as the pick is compensation for their not signing last year’s first rounder and isn’t eligible for the same compensation this time around.
Expect similarly quick signings for many of the top picks over the next few days, or at least many of the top picks who aren’t represented by Scott Boras.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 68
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 7
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (86)