Jun 8, 2010, 4:47 PM EDT
Tough week for aging infielders, no? First Adam
Kennedy Everett was DFA’d by the Tigers and now Mark Grudzielanek* gets the same treatment.
Grudzielanek was batting .273/.328/.273 with 11 RBI in 110 at-bats with the Indians this season. He hurt his hammy on Sunday, however, and since the Indians were given special permission by the league office to treat ballplayers like horses, Grudzielanek had no choice but to be put out of his (roster) misery.
Filling Grudzielanek’s spot will be Anderson Hernandez, who has been playing all over the infield in Columbus. He’s the guy that my fellow Columbusites tend to miss at Huntington Park because we use his at bats for beer runs. Can’t miss Carlos Santana, after all, can we?
*Pfun Pfact: no one has actually typed Mark Grudzielanek’s name in over eight years. It’s just been repeatedly copied and pasted from previous articles!
- 2014 Preview: Chicago Cubs 0
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” 34
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 18
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 60
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 12