Jun 8, 2010, 4:47 PM EST
Tough week for aging infielders, no? First Adam
Kennedy Everett was DFA’d by the Tigers and now Mark Grudzielanek* gets the same treatment.
Grudzielanek was batting .273/.328/.273 with 11 RBI in 110 at-bats with the Indians this season. He hurt his hammy on Sunday, however, and since the Indians were given special permission by the league office to treat ballplayers like horses, Grudzielanek had no choice but to be put out of his (roster) misery.
Filling Grudzielanek’s spot will be Anderson Hernandez, who has been playing all over the infield in Columbus. He’s the guy that my fellow Columbusites tend to miss at Huntington Park because we use his at bats for beer runs. Can’t miss Carlos Santana, after all, can we?
*Pfun Pfact: no one has actually typed Mark Grudzielanek’s name in over eight years. It’s just been repeatedly copied and pasted from previous articles!
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 72
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 85
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 37
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 14
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Curt Schilling goes after Obama, says Ronald Reagan would watch “The Interview” (104)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)