Jun 8, 2010, 4:03 PM EDT
UPDATE: Guess not. Andy Martino reports that Major League Baseball is “comfortable” with the Ollie Perez DL stint and has closed its investigation. Apparently Perez suffered the most conveniently-timed knee injury in baseball history.
I’m inclined to think that teams abuse the DL for roster management purposes all the time. As far as I know, however, no team has ever gotten busted for it.
Oh well. Stay tuned for Ollie suddenly coming down with a terrible case of Badcontracism sometime soon, necessitating his move to the 60-day DL.
1:17 P.M.: As was reported over the weekend, eyebrows were raised when the Mets put Oliver Perez on the disabled list after a couple of weeks of trying to get him to accept a minor league assignment and at the exact moment his roster slot was needed for Jon Niese’s callup. We learned on Saturday that MLB was reviewing it, but MLB reviews all roster moves so no biggie, right?
Maybe not. Matthew Cerrone of MetsBlog reports that he has heard from two MLB sources who characterize this as “a serious
investigation,” and that there’s a chance the transaction
I don’t know what reversing the roster move would really entail. Certainly it would mean the Mets have to place Perez back on the roster and make a corresponding roster move to make room. It’s doubtful that anything happens as a result of Niese getting a start that was later adjudged to have been occasioned by an illegal roster move. We’re probably talking a fine or something.
I’d have to think that if the move was found to be wrongful that the Mets would simply have to DFA Perez, right? I mean how can you keep a guy that you hate so much that you’d cheat the system to be rid of?
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 30
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 46
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 67
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 55
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 49
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 90
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (198)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (104)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (103)